Seriously, my iPhone 6 is burning up

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by BacktoMacNJ, Sep 16, 2015.

1. BacktoMacNJ macrumors member

Post upgrade, it got very, very hot. So I erased everything, and restored, and it's going through the process of restoring now. But wow it is very, very hot. Never experienced anything like this before.

2. !!! macrumors 6502

How long did you wait for it to cool down after you upgraded?

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

It was indexing... should have just let it do its thing.. Would have been fine after a few hours.. or after a restart

4. BacktoMacNJ thread starter macrumors member

About 10 minutes watching the % charge go down. Is this normal? I've had all the iPhones since the 3G and never experienced this during an iOS upgrade.

5. BacktoMacNJ thread starter macrumors member

Really, wow. I restarted and it was still hot. I'll report back after the restore. It's gonna take a while and it is very hot while it is restoring.

6. azukre macrumors member

azukre

Would it be possible to tell us the temperature?

7. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Place it on a cooling pad or near a fan while it does its thing.

This. Just let it be, don't judge the performs right away. Mine was laggy immediately so I quit all apps and put it down. It's running smoothly now

8. BacktoMacNJ thread starter macrumors member

I'm about at the end of the restore, and it seems to have cooled down and I put a fan near it to assist but I can't imagine that folks aren't gonna get concerned because it really does get pretty hot.

9. azukre macrumors member

azukre

Glad it has return to normal. Anyone know the maximum temperature iPhone allows before it shuts down?

10. Solver macrumors 6502a

Indexing shouldn't make the device very very hot. Maybe indexing plus a stuck app or two trying to run some background process could. Check the "battery" setting for clues. Try temporarily turning off background app refresh. Facebook is one app that seems to add to battery drain problems.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not normal. You might have tried a simple restart to kill all running processes but nothing wrong with what you did to recover.

12. BacktoMacNJ thread starter macrumors member

The heat did dissipate and my phone has tons of apps so the restore took hours. But wow, it did get really hot, which has never happened before.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's downloading info, apps, installing them and the rest...no wonder it gets hot. Did you play with it whilst it was restoring?

14. BacktoMacNJ thread starter macrumors member

No, it's not like I'm a rookie, I've had every phone since the 3GS

15. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

16. Damolee macrumors 6502

Heavy WIFI usage is what makes my 6 get stupidly hot. If I have to do lots of downloading I often take it out of the case. It's worse if you use a 5ghz band.

17. Blaster13 macrumors 6502

Blaster13

Try resetting a your settings

18. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I just did a restore and backed up my old backup. I went from 100% to 93% in 20 mins. I guess it was still indexing and doing other things. Esp since I have 20 gb of data back on the phone from backup.
    Will see later today how the battery last.

19. BacktoMacNJ thread starter macrumors member

I upgraded my iPad Min (which got hung up) and it got warm, but nowhere as hot as the phone did.