Seriously need help clearing space

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Andy000, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Andy000 macrumors newbie

Andy000

Hey, so I've asked in the official Apple Support Communities and everyone was pretty much no help in honesty just pointing to random threads that didn't have much to do with my question at all so I'm hoping people here might be a bit more helpful :).

So basically a week or so ago I went to sync my 32GB iPhone 5 in iTunes like normal and noticed in the storage capacity bar at the bottom said I only had around 5GB left of free space so I did what I do with my older iPod nano and just select a few music artists to add rather than my entire iTunes library and that should free up a bunch of space. Did that and it then said I had around 9GB left. Then a day or so after when I went to sync it again it said I had 5GB left yet again, so tried syncing it again and it didn't change. Well now that bar basically says: Audio-5.29GB, 765 songs, Photos-6.03GB, 2010 photos, Apps-6.85GB, 82 apps, Documents & Data-231.9MB and Other-9.02GB, so whatever 'other' is is now taking up a ridiculous amount of space for some reason and I have no idea what it could be or how to delete it or anything.

If anyone can help me out and maybe help me try a few methods to find out what it is and hopefully clear whatever it is it'd be insanely appreciated because it's driving me mad now! Thanks

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

millions and millions and millions of threads on many forums all across the internet regarding this exact issue. you basically need to wipe the phone and set it up as new and DO NOT restore from a backup. people have concluded that the "other" data is corrupted or incomplete iTunes backups and its where OTA firmware updates are kept. the only way to shrink it is to wipe the phone clean.

google the issue for more options, how to's and ideas.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I see you got 82 Apps...

We are aware Apple downloads the newest OS version to you whether you asked for it or not and it just sits there, taking up space, waiting for you to say UPDATE.

Can it be doing the same thing with all (most?) of those 82 Apps? all sitting there waiting for you to update?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

He has 82 apps, not 82 apps with available updates. Either he has auto update on, and the apps updated themselves (so aren't downloaded and waiting to be installed), or he has it off and hasn't chosen to update apps with updates available (assuming any of his apps even have available updates).

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

like i said, its hard to tell exactly what it is since we don't have complete access to the phones filesystem without being jailbroken. usually its saved text messages, including MMS, that hogs it. also yes its the downloaded iOS updates which can be up to a gig themselves and corrupted or "orphaned" as they call it syncs.

6. Andy000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Andy000

@Mrbobb I have auto app updates off, just because I like to see what the update is before update it, but I update all my apps as soon as I see the notification on the app store icon that any are available so everything is up to date that I'm aware of.

@dictoresno One of the main things I don't understand about it is that it just suddenly appeared after a sync, no reason for it it just popped up and took up the majority of my storage. From what I've read of what it could be I can't think of anything that would either take up a lot of space like that or that would do it in between me syncing it and trying again the next day :confused:

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

try syncing again to the computer and see if it shrinks.

8. Andy000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Andy000

@dictoresno I have tried syncing it again, going on 20+ times now changing and deleting things to see if it has any effect. It's still 9GB

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you can use an app like ibackupbot to perform a backup and then go into the backup and delete any saved or stored messages. or you will have no choice but to wipe clean and restore as new and don't restore from backup.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Do you really need all 2010 photos on your iPhone? Why not delete some of those? That's 6gb right there.

11. Andy000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Andy000

@dictoresno So that's literally my only other option, is basically lose all contacts, texts, info, data, etc and start as if my phone was brand new? Surely someone has had a similar problem and figured something out who could offer some help before using what's basically the last resort method?

@Apple fanboy Yes I can delete all of them, that still doesn't solve the obvious problem of having basically 9GB of unusable space on my iPhone taken up by this mysterious 'Other' stuff.

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

back up what you can to icloud, like app data and contacts. those will restore when you log back in. and yes, this is a huge flaw and there is no real solution besides wiping it clean.

here.....read up.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4221022
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

13. Andy000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Andy000

@dictoresno From all the stuff I've read up on it though the backups on my computer and iCloud are useless though because they contain whatever the corrupted file is that take up all the room so basically they're useless I guess so I have no choice but to start from scratch.

Don't know if anyone will know but if I do have a current backup on my computer and in the iCloud and restore my iPhone then plug my phone into my Mac will it wipe those backups with my now blank iPhone or will it try putting everything from those current backups, including the corrupted stuff, back onto my phone?

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Pretty sure it will try putting everything back onto your phone. You could say its a new phone and then you can select in iTunes what to install.