Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighDesert50

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
Very surprising that no effort was made to update the Touch. Even a modest camera upgrade might have added an unappreciable cost but certainly would have corrected an obvious limitation, served as an incentive for upgrading from an earlier gen, and ultimately contributed to consumer confidence in the product. Now as the chasm between the Touch and Phone continues to widen, we are perhaps left to wonder if Apple really intends to sustain the Touch as a paragon of innovation or eventually let it go the way of the Classic.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011

Good point. If Apple can barely meet demand for a new iPhone, why should they sell a touch using the same components which are constrained? Answer: they shouldn't because the iPhone is so much more profitable.

One would expect that of all companies, a company with 70 billion in the bank should be able to secure materials months ahead of production ........

Sorry not buying this "shortage"

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
One would expect that of all companies, a company with 70 billion in the bank should be able to secure materials months ahead of production ........

Sorry not buying this "shortage"
Perhaps you haven't heard how Apple has had trouble keeping up with demand for both iPad and iPad 2?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Does bring up a interesting point, perhaps the shifting of the iPhone release has also shifted hardware upgrades for the iPod Touch. It really makes sense to put the greatest components into the biggest sellers (even though I don't particularly care for the iPhone or iPad), perhaps in early 2012 we will see some sort of refresh for the iPod Touch.

iPod Touch has to be a money maker on the app store too so I don't see them abandoning the iPod Touch right now. Though the more iPod Touch users convert to iPhones the less support the iPod Touch is going to receive.

Really I was just disappointed about no 96GB or 128GB release because that was the one feature that was a plus for the touch over the iPhone, it had one model with higher capacity.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
So no need to innovate the touch?

They did innovate and add the white color.

It's an Apple product so it will sell if they spent the money on really upgrading it or not. Apple knows this and they are going to use that little Apple logo for all it's worth. That's how you make the real big bucks. Cut back on engineering and manufacturing costs and sell on the strength of your brand.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
They did innovate and add the white color.

It's an Apple product so it will sell if they spent the money on really upgrading it or not. Apple knows this and they are going to use that little Apple logo for all it's worth. That's how you make the real big bucks. Cut back on engineering and manufacturing costs and sell on the strength of your brand.

I don't think you understand what innovation is.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
It makes sense that it was a small upgrade for both iPT and iPhone. They had a lot going on with the CEO resigning. And, it was going to be a minor upgrade this year anyways.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
It makes sense that it was a small upgrade for both iPT and iPhone. They had a lot going on with the CEO resigning. And, it was going to be a minor upgrade this year anyways.

It seems to be more of an color added and a price drop, there doesn't seem to be any upgrade to speak of.

Not that that is the end of the world, A4 is a damn fine CPU and even with 256MB seems to run things just fine. I'd take an A5, but I like the idea of a cheap iPod touch as well.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Unfortunately I think it's pretty much a sign that Apple thinks the market isn't growing anymore. Just as other iPods, which gotten even less attention from Apple even though Apple dominates the market.

The market has now entered the phase where Apple will try to squeeze the profit without making much effort into it. Smartphone is where the money and growth are at. Even though Apple isn't trying their best, no one else is doing particularly well in the market. It's an unfortunate fact for all of us who do not want to sign a two year contract and don't want to pay $700 for an iPhone. :(

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
Thank you for posting. I was going to try to figure out what was new with this model. My classic from 2004 died earlier this year. I have been using a shuffle that was given to me. I was leaning towards the Touch but may end up going with the Nano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.