Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capcaveman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Why? I'm regularly in areas with only Edge coverage...will the iOS5 magically switch to Edge when I have no wifi or 3g?

Is there some hidden setting that will let me turn off 3g when it and my wifi connection at work bogs down so bad that I can't stream audio during peak times? Which happens daily at my workplace, forcing me to switch to Edge.

So far things were going great with my shiny new 4s until I learned this.

Yeah, I get that Edge will be dying but in some areas it's still the only real option, what the heck?

Sorry if this is a repost.

Last edited:

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
settings > general > network > enable/disable 3G

----------

i think its been there since day 1 of the iPhone?

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't understand why they would omit this. Switching to Edge really helped out when the battery went below 20% and you knew you weren't going to make it to a charger anytime soon.

Last edited:

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Why? I'm regularly in areas with only Edge coverage...will the iOS5 magically switch to Edge when I have no wifi or 3g?

Is there some hidden setting that will let me turn off 3g when it and my wifi connection at work bogs down so bad that I can't stream audio during peak times? Which happens daily at my workplace, forcing me to switch to Edge.

So far things were going great with my shiny new 4s until I learned this.

Yeah, I get that Edge will be dying but in some areas it's still the only real option, what the heck?

Sorry if this is a repost.

It appears iPhone 4S doesn't have manual switch to force EDGE only, but it should switch between the two depending on the available network.

capcaveman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
It appears iPhone 4S doesn't have manual switch to force EDGE only, but it should switch between the two depending on the available network.

Hopefully, but battery life is going to take a substantial hit and if the 3g is spotty or in my case overloaded we're pretty much screwed.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Hopefully, but battery life is going to take a substantial hit and if the 3g is spotty or in my case overloaded we're pretty much screwed.

You won't know until you try it out for few days. Just give it time to see if you have any issues and maybe even email Apple regarding the issue.

Rogue Kill

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011

True, I don't like the fact that you can't take advantage of manually forcing the phone to the edge network.

I did find the option under network to turn off "cellular data." I think that would force it to use wifi.

Otherwise....screwed...

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I hated to see that option go! I know personally there have been a few times where for some reason calls would not go out with 3G enabled, but if I would cut it off and jump on EDGE I could make a call. I don't know why Apple would choose to omit this. It makes absolutely no sense at this point, but it might be more to it then we realize at this point....new antenna???

doctapeppa

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
I don't know about you guys but AT&T's 3g service has died here in Miami a few times and the only way to be able to use our iphone was by going into settings and turning off 3G.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I don't know about you guys but AT&T's 3g service has died here in Miami a few times and the only way to be able to use our iphone was by going into settings and turning off 3G.

This should not be necessary. The phone will eventually fall back to 2G when 3G service is not available.

doctapeppa

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
This should not be necessary. The phone will eventually fall back to 2G when 3G service is not available.

Well, the 4 has this capability as well but it didn't work. The problem with the outages that we had was that 3G wasn't really down (it was just messed up) so the phones didn't drop back to Edge and we had to manually switch back to it so we could make phone calls and retrieve emails, etc.

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
as said in a previous thread, if your on 3 in the UK then you won't have an option to turn it off.

O2 allow you the option, not sure on the other networks.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I wanted an option to set it to 3G only. I am sick of my phone jumping to 2G network even if 3G coverage is strong.

dubnde

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
UK
I am on T-Mobile UK. If I disable "Enable 3G" but leave the "Cellular Data" on, it falls back to GPRS I think. Never had an option for EDGE even before iOS 5

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
as said in a previous thread, if your on 3 in the UK then you won't have an option to turn it off.

O2 allow you the option, not sure on the other networks.

Well, in Sweden 3 is restricted to 3G. There is physically no way to make a call via 3 on the 2G network (apart from emergency calls). Perhaps the situation is similar in the UK?

EDIT: By the way, I'm a 3 customer on a 3GS and as expected the "3G off" option does not show up in settings. Would've been nice with a fallback, though.

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Perhaps it has to do with the new antenna design, which switches between antennas based on the best signal. Just a thought.

Moe UK

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
London
Switching between the two is very useful, there are quite few places at my work where you only get one or two bars 3G and when that happens I can't load any webpages, turn of 3G and I get full EDGE and data works.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

Actually the same thing has happened here. It connects to the 3G network fine, but it is unable to make calls or send texts. It thinks it is on 3G so it doesn't switch back. Only happened here one time I can remember, so hopefully won't be too much of an issue.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Actually the same thing has happened here. It connects to the 3G network fine, but it is unable to make calls or send texts. It thinks it is on 3G so it doesn't switch back. Only happened here one time I can remember, so hopefully won't be too much of an issue.

What happens when you are on wifi then? does 3G still remain on? that would drain battery when it doesn't need to be on.

codelode84

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I never realized this was an option. My phone would always automatically switch from 3g to edge all of the time on its one even during a call. I had a 3G, is the advantage to this button if it isn't searching for 3G all of the time you are going to save battery life or am I missing something here? :confused:

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

codelode84 said:
I never realized this was an option. My phone would always automatically switch from 3g to edge all of the time on its one even during a call. I had a 3G, is the advantage to this button if it isn't searching for 3G all of the time you are going to save battery life or am I missing something here? :confused:

Yes. Longer battery life and, for those who live in areas with poor 3G reception, a more stable connection.

I guess Apple removed it to make the menus more simple? That's unfortunate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.