Seriously now, let's talk SATA-III

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyrion, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I know, there's not many SATA-III SSDs available right now, but to me the new MBP's SATA-III compatibility is one of its most exciting features. Still, nobody really talks about it. So, this thread is devoted to SATA-III compatible SSDs in the new MBPs!

Has anyone even tried a SATA-III SSD in a 2011 MBP yet? Do you notice the 6 Gb/s speeds? Are there any compatibility issues, any problems with hibernation etc.? To give you some perspective, there's basically three SATA-III SSDs you can buy right now: The slightly older Crucial C300, which has a somewhat spotty track record (due to bad firmware, I think), and the very new Corsair P3 series as well as the new Intel 510 (both of which share the same Marvell controller). Has anyone tried any of these drives in a new MBP? I'd be grateful for any impressions/reviews at all.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OCZ Vertex 3 should start shipping next week. It will be the fastest SATA 6Gb/s SSD and reasonably priced as well.

3. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know, but what about the stuff available right now? :p

BTW Hellhammer, do you know of any other SF-2000 drives that were already announced? The Vertex 3 is hogging the spotlight, but I'm not giving OCZ my money.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO it does not make much sense to buy one now if there will be better and cheaper ones in matter of days.

G.Skill Phoenix II but it won't be shipping until mid Q2 2011.

5. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be getting a 13" MBP soon and I'm seriously trying to decide between OCZ or Intel. The Vertex 3 seems to have significantly faster write speeds (200MBs more) but similar read speeds to the Intel 510. I've heard that Intel is much more reliable though, so I'm wondering if I should go for reliability or speed. :confused:

Also, how long should SSDs without TRIM last before they start degrading?

6. nowstime, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

nowstime macrumors regular

The latest MacBook Pros support SATA III but is the latest CTO SSD installed by Apple SATA III SSDs or SATA II?

$90 upgrade for the 128GB SSD (Edu Discounted) do seem reasonable if it's SATA III but not sure if it's worth it if it's SATA II.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's Toshiba SSD, SATA 3Gb/s.

8. Tyrion, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Vertex 3 will certainly be cheaper and faster than the intel, but we don't really know whether it will be "better" overall. I mean, what if there's yet another OZC-fiasco? Though it is curious that intel is using a Marvell controller... Doesn't inspire confidence. Still, it's a refined, second-gen SATA-III controller (as opposed to Marvell's first-gen SATA-III controller in the C300), and it obviously got through Intel's rigorous testing.

G.skill isn't the most reputable brand either, right? Now, a SF-2000 SSD by Corsair... I'd probably be all over that.

Still, I was also just generally wondering whether anyone has already tried an SSD that makes use of the new MBP's SATA-III interface (i.e. Corsair or Intel). I'd be very curious to read some trip reports, as it were :)

EDIT: just thought of something: are OWC releasing new SATA-III SSDs based on Sandforce? They have a pretty good reputation, much better than OCZ at least.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't know where did you get that OCZ or G.Skill isn't a reputable brand. Vertex 2 is one of the most popular SSDs among Mac users. The hibernation issue applies to ALL SF-1000 based drives, including OWC and Corsair, not just OCZ.

In the end, all these brands just put the parts together. The controller is from SandForce and NANDs are from Micron, Intel or Toshiba etc. Thus, at least in my opinion, there is no point in saying that Corsair is better than OCZ if they use the exactly same parts.

No matter what drive you by, there can be issues. From what I've heard, all brands have offered good customer service in case of an issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430

Haven't heard anything for sure but probably yes. You could contact them and ask.

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Personally I would rate G Skil above OCZ. Crucial and G Skil both have outstanding customer service. The C300 is an excellent drive.

11. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I asked if OWC was planning on releasing a SATA 6Gbps device anytime soon and they told me that they can not comment. There's no ETA available but it is on their product roadmap.

I think I should come out within the month or in June.

12. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

OCZ has recently been getting a lot of flak for the way they switched to 25nm NAND chips on the Vertex 2 drives while reducing rated lifespan and performance. They did this without alerting consumers and charging the same price despite their own cost savings. I believe that this is problem most people have.

13. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hellhammer, I won't dispute the fact that OCZ make some awesomely fast SSDs. Still, they screwed their customers over with the silent switch to 25nm, AND they have the worst track record in the industry when it comes to drive failures (Anand published the numbers in his review on the Intel 510). So, even though they make the fastest SSDs in the world, I don't think they deserve my business.

Anyway, I think I just found a good reason to wait a little while longer: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/behold-corsairs-force-gt-ssd-flaming-red-shell-and-500-mb-s/

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OCZ is offering free replacements to all who are effected by the issue. Performance was worse due to the amount of NANDs used, not because of the 25nm process. Anand also wrote about the reduced lifespan of 25nm flash and made a conclusion that the NANDs will most likely lose their charge (~10 years) before they wear out. Sure, OCZ should have noted people about the switch but I would consider free replacements as acceptable service at least. IIRC Corsair switched to 25nm NANDs as well couple of weeks ago.

15. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those replacements only became completely free after even more people complained. In the beginning they wanted like 10$ for the exchange. Just kind of shady and not customer-friendly at all. Also, if people hadn't noticed the slower speeds and made a stink about it, nobody would ever have known, because OCZ sold the slower models under the same branding and in the same packaging they used for the faster 34nm drives. It was basically a bait-and-switch, and I have no tolerance for that kind of thing.

16. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

That does partly rectify the problem but they did initially want to charge for it. I don't think it was the actual performance that was in question, it was the way they tried to sneak it in that got people upset. BTW, Corsair lets you know its a 25nm with the -A suffix at the end.

17. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

ill be getting a a vertex 3. best performance for the price of any other drive. i dont care if they have "shady marketing". im not trying to be friends with ocz. theres nothing shady about 550 read, 500 write for $499.

18. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Check that engadget link above -- Corsair announced their own SF-2000 drive with the same speeds as the Vertex 3 and they're both showing them at the CeBIT show. Corsair is a good company; if you're all about the 500 MB/s you do have a choice over OCZ even if you can't wait for OWC.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But what about price and availability? At least with current, i.e. soon-to-be-previous-gen drives, OCZ have been cheaper than Corsair. Also, the article says Corsair will unveil them in CeBIT but will they ship them next week like OCZ? G.Skill also unveiled their SF-2000 lineup but availability is Q2.

If Corsair costs more and will be available later, then I don't see the reason to get that over OCZ, unless you have something against OCZ like some people seem to have.

20. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I just want something next week . First choice is OWC and second maybe the Vertex 3. Money is sitting here burning to be spent on one. The Intel looks overpriced and was not crazy about some of the reviews. Really would love to wait for OWC since I have two now that been brilliant for me. Well one actually I sold one but have the other sitting in the Optical bay and the spinner in the HD bay which needs to get dumped ASAP. MY OS is obviously on the SSD but I am wasting the Sata 3 port and it is bugging the crap out of me. Yes NO patience at all

21. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, OWC would be awesome, but they've been quiet about upcoming SATA-III drives so far :(

The Corsair looks great, but I'm afraid Hellhammer is right - availability is going to be a problem; the Vertex 3 will have a headstart (according to Corsair's press release, the new drives will only become available in "early Q2").