Seriously, what's with the attitude of people around here?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ravenvii, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It used to be that MacRumors is a place for Apple fans.

But those days, it seems to be popular to diss Apple and insult anyone who buys Apple as dumb Apple fanboi who would buy dog feces if it has an Apple logo on it.

This place seems to be slowly becoming a twisted, surreal Apple hatesite. Where many people has Apple products, and yet acts as like anyone who buys Apple products is a dumb fanboy.

The post that sparked this thread is this post in this thread, replying to my post where I discussed the pros of owning an Apple router as compared to a Linksys router - I wasn't even dissing the Linksys router, I even agreed that it has merits, but just saying that the AirPort has merits of it's own, too. And what did I get? "Thanks for the clarification - people will buy anything with an Apple on it."

That's when it hit me that this kind of attitude is becoming more and more populist around here. This is a Apple fan site, is it not?

The hostility sucks. I don't think the moderators can really help - it's the crowd mentality, and that's slowly ruining the site for me.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think there is a lot of attacking from avid users of both OS's

Reading some of the threads it starts out informative then the bashing from both sides starts.

Someone asks a question about pc vs mac or mac vs pc it becomes a flame.

I am trying to learn more about macs, that is why I am here.
    But some threads seem to be more of the same mac vs pc.

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Here i am!
    :D

You seem to be missing the the point of my post there. The apple router doesnt have the same features as dd-wrt, even though you were convinced the Airport did, and you justified the purchase of an apple router because it looks better and has a nice interface.
    You are paying an extra $50 for less features and the apple logo. If theres a problem with this we can debate, but there really is no reason to start a new thread so you can look for sympathy.
    I asked an honest question, and i got an answer from you that was partly false, partly opinion, and the only facts were "its looks better."

Apple is getting bigger, and with that they draw a crowd that is used to seeing products that are competitively priced with better features, but that mentality doesnt exist inside the Steve Jobs Bubble, so people like me are stuck wondering why someone would pay more for less. If you cant handle someone questioning the almighty Apple then perhaps you should take a look at why you are really on this site.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

In a recent thread a person going to college was asking whether they should go with the dell with a warranty thatcovers everything or the umb with applecare.
    We were having a decent exchange then a person pipes in
    Mac all the way, dell makes me vomit.

some people here feel apple is for the elite/rich and if you dont hae apple you suck and are a poor bastard ad deserve windows. To be honest I have said and still feel macs are extremely over priced and lack the latest hardware.

to be fair it does goes both ways.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't take issue at someone questioning the almighty Apple. I take issue where you implied that I'm buying **** just because it has an Apple logo on it.

And I've been here for much, much longer than you, so I think I know better of why I'm here than you do.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think many do and they make a point of it.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I want implying anything about your buying habits, i was just stating that the only points you brought up that werent incorrect or opinion were the facts that it was shiny and had a pretty interface. This points my be valid for a laptop, but not a router that you will put on the shelf and log into once or twice over its lifetime.

And quite honestly, i dont care if you have been here from day one. User's who bring up the classic "i've been here longer" argument are usually just scrambling for some reason to defend themselves, so lets just end this before it gets completely out of control. Im tired, and im going to bed, tomorrow we can continue as usual. Fair enough?

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

So, the non-hypocrites that they are, they, not owning an Apple product whatsoever, comes here purely on a personal crusade to convince us that we're dumb?

I'm starting to wonder if we're actually infested with a subtle kind of troll.

Really?

One actual scenario: A while ago, I had to connect a computer to the network. It doesn't have a wireless adapter, nor is it anywhere close to the router. I happen to have an AirPort Express, so I connected it to the computer. I went into the settings, and found the settings to set it up in client mode. Easy.

More recently, a similar thing. But this time, a Linksys WRT54G. The official firmware, as we all know, is crap, and doesn't support client mode. I installed DD-WRT on it. Now, to set it up in client mode... and I'm stuck. Yes, it has "client mode" right there in the menu in settings, but no indication of how I can set it up to actually connect to the main router.

Yes, a Google got me the instructions (it ended up to be pretty simple, but no way I'd have figured it out on my own.)

Both got the same result. One $50 less than the other, perhaps. But there's a clear difference between the two.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

by the way my name is Scott.

so here is my take, being a windows person and only oning 2 iphones, 2 ipod touches, 3 shuffles and two ipod/videos.

I personally came here to learn about mac. I have learned a lot about mac as well as seeing how apple releases their products.
    some think anything by apple is absolutely top notch, 100% reliable, never break and so on. I simply think then how does the refurb store survive.
    Some here are extremely open minded and can participate in intelligent conversation sharing their knowledge and expereinces.
    Some want to learn and the only way they can relate apple products is to include non-apple products in their posts. Well some look at that as anti apple and it goes on from there to the bashing,
    Others if itis not Apple its junk, it always breaks and so on or you get the my friend story or rhetoric from years ago.
    Trolls - they exist in every forum I have ever participated in/on,

this is the internet and sometimes a post can be intepreted the wrong way and it spirals giving the appearance of a troll.

then again there are avid fans from both "camps" that could literately start a war over this stuff.

In general the first 15 to 20 posts of any thread is usually where the info is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.