Seriously where is 10.5.7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBug2, Feb 20, 2009.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

No developer seeds, Apple is taking way too long this time.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay?

What's wrong with 10.5.6?

Perhaps they're working to make Snow Leopard live up to a third of the blasphemously out of proportion hype that it is getting. I'd rather they do that.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Hopefully they will make it good then. They need to get it out pretty soon though because before you know it, Snow Leopard will be coming out. And they need to get all the way to 10.5.9 before Snow Leopard can be released.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wasn't aware that they had a schedule other than releases as needed.......

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I agree. I have one really nasty bug where transferring 4 files totaling 3 gigs from my NTFS formatted bootcamp partition to a Windows XP computer over a wireless network slows finder down to a crawl...

I'm sure a reboot would fix it, but every now and then Leopard lets me down on such basic things, it's annoying.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL your joking right???

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We'll probably get it when new machines are released, or not.

8. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Not for a while, I've used the latest build and it's in my opinion slower than 10.5 and buggy as hell. There's a long way to go yet

9. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Even if there are no major bugs, Apple always released minor updates in a timely manner so far. There's something fishy going on. Either Snow Leopard is gonna come sooner than we think or I don't know.

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I'll bite....

What is the "blasphemously out of proportion hype" that Snow Leopard is getting?

S-

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

"100x Faster Macs With Snow Leopard?"

And all the people who think that OpenCL and Grand Central will give us more than even 2x performance against the same machine running Leopard.

12. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

No...

Even after Snow Leopard is released, 10.5 will still mostly likely be updated and will go past 10.5.9. Leopard version numbers have nothing to do with Snow Leopard. They don't need to get anywhere with 10.5 before they can release Snow Leopard.

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Tallest Skil,

Some tasks will see two orders of magnitude speed improvement based on what I have seen regarding how GPUs will be utilized on OpenCL. That is what that article in the thread you linked to was talking about.

That doesn't mean the everything will run that much faster and I don't see anyone that suggested that it would.

S-

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

That is because the "latest" seed that you are using are checked builds that basically is in a debug mode. Everything will run slow because of additional debugging process going on. Once they strip out of the debug code, it'll magically run 25-75% times faster. As for bugs, that's the nature of seeding the builds out, to find all the bugs they can find. The SL isn't even in optimization stage of the development. Once they optimize it, it'll be as fast or faster than the 10.5. they only need less than a month for GM build to go to retail markets.

15. Doctor Doom macrumors member

By that same thinking Tiger was replaced by leopard at 10.4.9...

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

17. kabunaru Guest

"Weeks" could mean "months". :) :eek:

18. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Reminds me of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"...

S-

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Whoa..!! macosrumors.com still exists?!? :eek:
    Haven't visited that site for say... 5 years?

But, there'll a Mac OS X 10.5.7. Beta's will get to developers coming months, for sure. Usually 10.X.x updates get ceased after the release of the newer 10.X.
    IMHO it is a good sign. 10.5.6 seems to be so good, that 10.5.7 is not being hastened.. ;)

20. rjheys macrumors regular

10.5.6 has been buggy as hell for me.

I agree 10.5.6 has been crap for me. I have had EVERY major app (Safari, Mail, iTunes, Finder and iMovie) crash on me at least once a day since I installed 10.5.6. Not to mention the bug in System Preferences that doesn't let me change my background, every time I click on Desktop & Screen Saver the app crashes. I really getting bored with my current wallpaper but have no way to change it. Come on Apple, get a move on.

By the way 10.5.6 is the only release of Leopard that has caused me any grief, 10.5-10.5.5 worked fine for me.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Something is wrong with your system. I had that too after I installed the standalone package for 10.5.6. If you install the combo package, that will disappear.

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A couple of things:
    • I love MacRumors.com, but this is a rumor site run by Macintosh fans for our entertainment. Apple, Inc. has nothing to do with this site. Nothing posted here comes from Apple.
    • You gave an example of one thread started by one Mac fan way back in November 2008.
    Neither of these conditions qualify as hype. They most certainly don't qualify as blasphemously out of proportion hype. If you want to see hype, then find some of the TV and print ads for Windows 95. That campaign featured comedian and Tonight Show host, Jay Leno, and aging British rock group The Rolling Stones singing their song "Start Me Up." Now that was hype!

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Technically that is possible. Maybe 100x is hype yes. But graphics cards are certainly much much faster than CPUs for the tasks that OpenCL is designed to accelerate.

24. subaqua macrumors member

Odd. I've heard almost zero hype from Apple on Snow Leopard. Sure, there has been lots of speculation/user chatter about it on non-apple sites but that's not Apple's hype. If anything, Apple seems to be describing SL as an under the hood, incremental only update which reduces its footprint, bring fulls 64-bit capability, and enhances performance for certain applications via OpenCL.

That's all I'm expecting anyway :)