Seriously, who cares if a case scratches your bezel

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ferris23, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Ok, scratching the back of your Iphone is one thing, it's unacceptable. (eh hem, Incase Slider)

But the chrome...who cares!!??

I did this mod:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=332434&highlight=bezel

And I couldn't be happier! First I did it with the problematic phone I was sending back to Apple to make sure I liked it, and I have to say the phone looks so much better after doing this. I am so impressed with the results. Now anytime I get a little nick or scratch on my chrome, just grab my handy scotch brite sponge (which works better than 1500 grit sand paper) and good as new.

I know this was posted in the main Iphone forum but bezel scratches are part of our OCD in the accessories forum so I thought this would help some who can't stand the scratches the chrome gets from looking at it.

When I got my replacement phone I did this as soon as I took it out of the box. I brushed the chrome trim, the volume rocker and the sleep wake button and the vibrate switch.

It's a subtle difference but looks much more classy and elegant IMO.

If your chrome is scuffed, don't be afriad, you can't screw this up!

Also this does not do anything to your Apple warranty, I had no issues replacing my phone after the mod.

Obviously this is a visual personal preference so some of you like shiny bling, just not me. :)

It's a nice feeling not having to worry about that chrome trim anymore, also this mod makes smudges and grossness on the trim less annoying and not as easy to build up.

Here are some crappy pics taken with my Motorola work phone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I can care less

I have little nicks from the case i use on the bottom bezel, and it doesn't bother me ever. I'd rather have the case protect from a drop than have the phone naked.

Also, I must be the only one that never had the incase slider scratch the back

3. ematsui macrumors member

my incase gunmetal hasnt scratched the back of mine either, does leave those rubber smudges tho... easy to wipe off.

the incase has left a bunch of scratches on the face of my bezel on the bottom though, kinda annoying how easily the thing scratches. I will probably do this mod when i cant bear the scratches anymore (soon!)

4. JayXL14 macrumors member

I have chosen to not care about the condition of my iPhone anymore (scratch-wise). Obviously I care about cracks and stuff, but scratches are fine. I've realized it's just a cell phone in the end and I will most likely sell it when I get the iPhone 4G, so who cares. It's not like they will pay a lot more money, just a bit more for a "mint" one.

I won't be using it naked though, 'cause it's prone to drops. I'll put a slider, no screen protector, and call it a day.

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

meh my iphone was naked for a whole year. its definitely scratched up on the back and all around the bezel.

i can see people totally being anal about scratches if they plan on reselling it later on to another person whos equally as anal. other than that, who cares. its just a phone.

6. throwbookatface macrumors member

Is the bezel really metal? I was under the impression it was plastic, or at least metal-coated plastic, but if it can take a brushing I might consider doing the same. Great idea, as I worry about the bezel all the time, and though chrome looks great it's impractical for a gadget I touch dozens of times a day. Will look into doing this...

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nice work, but just not for me. My bezel has a few nicks here and there, but they just aren't noticeable to anyone when I have my Incipio Ultra Feather case on it....:cool:

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yeah, it really is metal - the same stuff they use for the backplates on the iPods. In one of those videos where they try blending all these different gadgets it was the only part of the entire iPhone to survive (albeit a bit mangled). Definitely metal :cool:

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have not seen a case yet that doesn't scratch the bezel. It's not big deal to me, it's just a phone meant to be used. It's not gonna be around next year when the new one comes out.

10. Thrilledge macrumors regular

Like i said in another thread. If you're worried about scratching the bezel, you might as well not get an IPhone. You're going to get scratches on it and plenty of them

11. JReynolds macrumors 6502

Get the Zag front and back protector. Protects the entire iphone. I use that for all the chrome and screen to protect and then have a case to help protect against drops.

It matters to me because I want to keep the resale value high. Sold my 3G for $325. Sold the wife's for $275 due to VERY minor scratches.

Gotta resell to buy the new one each summer! Sold for $325 purchased 32GB for $499. Good deal!

12. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Eh, Zagg collects dust and peels up and generally collects a lot of dust and gunk. This phone has a high resale value regardless, I sold mine in mint, my friend sold his rather worn, we both got the same price.

I've had the skins on my phone plenty, I just got sick of that tacky feel and the way it looked on the chrome, it almost looks worse than scratches.

I am a big fan of Wrapsol now for the back and nothing else, this phone is a thing of beauty, got sick of covering every square inch of it.

Skins on the chrome just look like crap, not to mention they don't fully cover it so you can see a line created by the skin, there is still space left that can be scratched with some skins.

[​IMG]

13. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Ferris: Is that a pic of the wrapsol or the zagg?

14. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

That's the Zagg. They use a terrible design that usually always peels up. I personally think the best skins are Wrapsol, Best Skins Ever then Body Guardz. Invisible Shield IMO after using and installing plenty, are crap.

My wrapsol can be seen in the Wrapsol thread and after over a week not one bit of dust has stuck to it.

:cool:

15. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Phew...

Just ordered a Wrapsol so that pic scared me!

Yea...that looks pretty bad.

16. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

haha you'll like it. Like I said before, my wrapsol (since the day of install) has been crammed in a gym armband, my pocket, my pouch etc and it is still perfect..

17. throwbookatface macrumors member

Like others said above, I asked about bezel protection because I want to keep the phone in good condition. What about resale value? Or repair costs? He'll, what if I just want to keep it from looking like crap?

Saying I shouldn't get an iPhone if I'm worried about scratches is like saying I shouldn't ever get a car if I'm worries about washing it or doing oil changes. I guess you could forego the car, but most people can use a product and maintain it well too...

18. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

i'm that person who as soon as my car would get that first scratch or ding, I'm over it... its no longer "My Baby".

I'd never forgive myself if i dropped or gouged my iPhone! :(

(plus resale, I'm pretty in to eBaying my old shiny-stuff) ;)

19. Thrilledge macrumors regular

No I'm just saying its just something you shouldn't worry about. I'm sure you don't worry about any little scratch on a car. Because you know its going to happen. Same with the IPhone Bezel.

If you worry about scratching the bezel. You're going to end up spending money on something to protect it from scratches. And what you buy to protect it is likely going to scratch it as well.

20. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

OP-

Could you possibly post a guide on doing this? I find it hard to understand the original guide.

Also, do you have a 3G or 3G S?

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

personally i hat the silver bezel. I was hoping the 3Gs was going to have a black bezel. so instead I dress the phone in an incase cover.
    couldn't case less if the bezel or phone gets scratched.

22. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

agree...the chrome is nice, but i would of rather a black bezel, give the phone alittle more sleekness rather than bling...

23. jacobgaul macrumors regular

black bezel would be a+ if colorware didnt charge so much id do it for sure. im considering sending my white phone in but they want to charge me to re-paint my back which its already white!

24. throwbookatface macrumors member

You could probably paint it yourself with some careful screwdriving, some sandpaper, and the right kinds of paint.

25. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

The truth.

I used to do the same with old iPod backs in the day. Brushed > Polished. Combined with my PS anti glare, and Wrapsol back, my iPhone can still look good and not slide out of my hands.

Though I understand some of you guys want to preserve your stuff for resale, the obsessive desire to protect them seems to take away from just using them like they were meant to be. I treat my phone and laptop like my car, I'm not gonna intentionally let it get beat or damaged, but if something does happen, it won't be the end of the world.

I purchased these items to be tools, not pieces of jewelry. As tools, I'm gonna use the hell out of them.