Seriously, why no video recording?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greedyboy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. greedyboy macrumors newbie

Its available if you jailbreak your phone, but why cant Apple just include this in the iPhone?

It baffles me as to why they cant.

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Could be any number of reasons: battery life, so-so camera, ect.

Honestly, Apple is having so many basic issues with the iPhone right now that their only concern is fixing those bugs first.

If video recording is an app you think you can't live without, simply jailbreak.

FWIW, I agree with you. Same as MMS as well.

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

yea when apple is ready to roll that feature out it will be the best, because that is how apple works they don't release until it is best that why the iphone is the best

5. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

ahem....yes, but how about a "video recorder lite" or something to tie us over till then. ;)

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Video Recording and basic editing with iMovie Mobile and wireless youtube upload would be so cool.

7. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I assume you mean TERRIBLE camera that was on phones 5 years ago?

8. The General macrumors 601

Oh yes, because when they rolled out the camera feature it was the best, and when they rolled out the SMS feature it was the best.

Sorry, I had to. :D

9. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

simple...here's why

The main reason is because apple forums and macrumors servers can't handle the traffic right now. As soon as we has video recording you would hear stuff like this....

"Is something wrong? My video recording is draining my battery life"

"Apple really messed up with this so-so video recording"

"Every time I end recording my iPhone goes back to the home screen"

"When i back up my videos it takes forever"

"Why could they not make this Video recording BlueRay quality...."

"My videos are taking up a lot of my memory if I record over 5min at a time" or " why did Apple set a 1minute limit on each video clip? will 2.1.1 fix this?"

"Wow this video recording feature sucks, where is our MMS apple?"

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Ding ding, we have a winner!

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

the answer is that it's not a swiss army phone.

Those exist and people can buy those if that's what they want.

Apple is going with a core set of features to keep costs down and leverage their platform.

I'm sure that when they are ready to revolutionize camera phone video, we'll have the iphone video with better software than most, worse hardware than some and we'll have 400 new threads a day asking why they didn't do X when they could have done Y.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OK. I'll feed the troll...

Looking at AT&T's website I found only one PDA phone that was more than 2 megapixels and most were 1.3 and below. If you need more, bye a Tilt at 3 megapixels. You'll have a better camera on a PDA that is mostly useless except for corporate e-mail/attachments/etc. Need more than 3? Go buy a camera. Even the Nokia E71 is only 3.2 megapixels. I'm sure there are more out there as the US typically lags behind in consumer technology.

I (and apparently millions of others) enjoy having a point and shoot camera which does 90% of what I want to do and officially prints at 4 by 6 inches. When I want something to print big I whip out the 8 megapixel Nikon and blast away.

Let me know when you find a phone that is a dessert topping and a floor wax. Until then people will be standing in line for the iPhone.

13. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The guys who released the 3G version a couple of days ago said that it's currently in the process of going on sale in the App Store.

Proof:

1, Can it run on 3G iPhone?
    We are going to update this app as iPhone firmware upgrades, and it will be made to smoothly run on 3G iPhone. We are also preparing for listing in AppStore. Registered users are entitled to permanent free upgrades.

http://www.iphonevideorecorder.com/about.html

I have it running on a 3G iPhone now and it's great :D They also have software that lets you transfer recorded videos over to your Mac.

14. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

They also have a free video recorder called "Cycorder"

The wonders of jailbreaking....try it:)

15. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

They cant host it in the App Store though unless they pull it off of Cydia tho

16. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i use cycorder works very good with iphone 1 gen's camera

17. nima macrumors member

nima

ummm i recall 5 years ago they used vga and 1.3 megapixels the camera is decent on the iphone its not bad at all its decent just like the instinct and many many other phones.

18. anbshilling macrumors newbie

ROFL!! :p

19. xxGenericSNxx macrumors newbie

Does yours record audio? When I playback, I don't have any audio playing back. With videorecorder3g, it plays back video and audio, but you have to pay for it after 30 tries, and the quality isn't as good as Cycorder.

20. kleo macrumors regular

You have to wait for iPhone 4G hardware update for video record feature. The 2G and 3G hardware does not "support" this feature.

21. snook911 macrumors 6502a

If you can get it with a jailbreaked iPhone then it has nothing to do with hardware. We could have it now but apple would have to give us the software in an update.

22. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Very well put. I personally want the iPhone to be what it is now. I don't need it to be a decorated device filled with extra features I'd possibly use once every year.

23. sye46 macrumors member

audio capability will be released in a new version that will cost money for a license

24. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

Ah thats great they can add the video feature through software/firmware updates. I'll buy it when it comes onto the apps store : )