Seriously, why whine, just jailbreak.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by db2431, Jan 16, 2008.

1. db2431 macrumors regular

Jailbreaking is easy, doesnt take more than 5 minutes, you cant brick your ipod doing it, and it does about 1000 times more than the pathetic $20 BS being offered.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Once you upgrade to 1.1.3 theres no turning back. So therefore its not as easy as just saying it.

"You get what you paid for"

...I guess.

3. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

People have posted ways to revert firmwares in the hacks forum.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, its their choice if they upgrade in the first place.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

And it's their fault if something goes wrong, because your warranty is voided the moment you add unauthorized applications.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Not true > U can restore to its original settings if you need to have anything done under warranty.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, I know that. But if something goes wrong while installing the software (if it can happen when you update the software released by Apple then it can sure as hell happen when you Jailbreak it), then you have a nothing but an expensive paperweight.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

Ivan, you are wrong. I would like someone on this forum to please let us know if you have bricked your Touch by jailbreaking it.

I don't me screwing it up and having to restore, I am talking about bricking it. It no longer functions and can not be restored. There are various methods to restore a Touch.

9. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm sure it's easy to jailbreak our Ipod's, but I'm not going to do it. I'm not happy about the $20-, but honestly.....that's not big money and my Ipod cost about $400-. I am going to do it the right away. I invested in the unit, so I'm going to play by the rules.

It's like buying a car.....once you buy it you know that you have to pay for oil changes, tune ups, etc. Actually, you don't have to buy the new apps, so maybe this isn't a good analogy.

10. boydigital macrumors newbie

The fact that you have already paid the ridiculous amount of $400 to Apple and they demand $20 more is exactly why you should jailbreak.

I have enough cool free programs on my iPod Touch to last several 4-hr plane rides. You're missing out if you haven't jailbroken... :rolleyes:

11. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

wow anybody who would actually pay $20 for 5 apps that you can install yourself, harlmessly, is just not thinking.

Just to clear things up, jailbraking your ipod will not in any way make it into a 'paperweight' as you are claiming, and with all the time these developers are spending on jailbreaking software, i don't know a single person that has had any problem.

plus, why would you settle for ONLY 5 applications, when jailbreaking it gives you infinite.

I would love someone to truly give me a good reason why the $20 upgrade is at all worth it.

-Alex (proud owner of a jailbroken ipod)

12. iwannamac macrumors member

13. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

14. macfan881 macrumors 68020

ill give you 2 points but first please dont call people who buy this stupid or omg why did you do that first The mail app now officially works with yahoo so now i can check all my email when ever im near a wifi signal second the google maps from the iphone is also what you get

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

First: there's nothing wrong with wanting to do things the right way. I don't need all the apps you get jailbreaking, I'm happy with the 5 apps from the update.

Second: When I first got my Touch I tryed jailbreaking it and I couldn't do it because when I tryed it said that my iPod wasn't connected to my computer but it was. I searched for a solution and couldn't find one. I only found a lot of people who had the same problem but not the solution. So this update was the only way I could get Mail.app on my Touch.

16. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

When you first tried?? Here, try again, i bet you it will work this time, because after jailbreakme.com was released idk anybody that had a single problem.

And I didn't say theres anything wrong with doing things the right way, I was just saying that often times the "right" way isn't always the most intelligent.

But in the end, you can certainly throw $20 down the drain for 5 apps if you so choose, i on the other hand like to try to make the most out of what I have.

17. boydigital macrumors newbie

It was really easy to do. I'm a computer hack/software noob and I did it in under 5 min. Actually, under 3 min.

Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled why Apple isn't embracing all the applications you can get with this "jailbreaking" business. All those cool applications make the iPod so much better... I can't understand why they aren't legitimate. I am willing to guess that Apple will, at some point, embrace many of these free programs and offer them legitimately (AT A PRICE, I'M SURE).

These infinite applications have the potential to be a major selling point. I LOVE EM!

18. Kkatyboo macrumors member

Ive said this once and Ive said it again; you have no good right to tell people they are not thinking. People have their own reasons to buy the applications than to jailbreak. Get over it, and leave all the people alone who do not want to jailbreak.

19. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Find me an official source that says it can't be bricked. And by that I don't mean a mere post on a message board.

20. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Personally I think Jailbreaking is pitiful. We're talking $20....unbelievable!

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ivan, don't you think that if it were possible to brick an iPod touch don't you think someone would have done it by now?

22. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Because with Jailbreak, you don't get the updated maps, ipod, movie and safari apps :(

23. solyd macrumors regular

You're joking right?

Jailbreaking is a community effort, there is no official source.
    It is just a software update to your iPod Touch. You can revert back to the official firmware at any point. The only reason why the term "bricked" exists is because of the iPhone fiasco, and that's only because of the problem with the SIM card. Does your iPod Touch have a SIM card? I don't think so...

24. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

25. beaker26 macrumors member

The $20 is worth it. I got maps that can locate me and provide better directions if I'm in a city or a part of a city that I don't know that well. I have a mail application that does google IMAP without having to do anything different.

If something goes wrong I can go to the Apple store 10 minutes away right away and they can fix my issue. I don't have to worry about restoring it and making sure I've covered up the evidence that it was jailbroken. This is a big deal to me, I don't want to worry about them turning me away because there's some evidence of it being jailbroken.

For a $400 device $20 dollars isn't that much to add new functionality to it. I gained 5 apps, so I paid $4 an app. That's not bad at all if you think about it. If you're complaining about the price and don't have the money to do it then maybe you shouldn't of bought a $400 iPod. There are many MP3 players on the market that are less expensive than that. Heck you could of bought a Asus EEE PC for that price.

Also with the update I'm able to have the webapps that I use the most on the home screen, I can move the icons that I don't use to the second screen so they're out of the way. I can rent iTunes movies and watch them. I will also be able to use the SDK when it comes out.

What actual functionality do you have with your touch being jailbroken that I don't have? This also must be something that a webapp can't do.