Serperate OS for iPad in future?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wickerman1893, Apr 4, 2010.

1. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

This might have to happen because since the iPad and iPhone are not the same, when iPhone OS 4.0 comes out later in the year it may be named iPad 4.0 or iPhone OS 4.0 iPad? Any thoughts?

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I don't think they'll split the two off in the future, I think its going to stay based off of the iphone os.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Yse, I wnat a serperate OS fro iPda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

That depends on what Apple has planned for it, they may never introduce a dedicated OS to the iPad.. I really believe it's going to stay in the iTouch/iPhone software family..

5. wickerman1893 thread starter macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

I guess I don't mean an entirely rebuilt OS, but since there are a few key features that are different on the ipad and iphone, they could make a seperate OS.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I think it will stay running on the iPhone OS, but there sure will be updates which create a bigger difference between the iPhone/iPod Touch and the iPad.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The iPad already runs it's own unique firmware. You can't install it on anything else. Not on an iPhone, Touch, or any other iPod.

Now if you're asking for a full fledged OS, don't go there. The iAngry will attack.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple can certainly provide different UI and functionality to the iPad without changing the underlying OS, that's part of good OS design. In fact they already do, all of the lock screen / home page etc. apps in the iPad are different than those on the iPhone, even though the underlying OS is the same.

They could give the iPad a completely different home screen that looks nothing like the iPhone and still share the same OS.

9. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

That would be dumb. Much easier to just maintain iPhone and iPad builds of iPhone OS.