Server 2008 r2 & hyper-v

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xeitu, Feb 24, 2012.

1. xeitu macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, I’m planning to acquire a MBP 15" 2.4 i7 Late 2011 model, I want to move to a solid platform like Mac OS X (I was considering it for a while and collecting the opinion of many colleagues). But right now, the company I work for is requiring me to do MCITP in Virtualization. So I want to know if somebody can confirm me if the is any issue running a bootcamped Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Hyper-v Role, I didn’t find any conclusive information about this. I have read some 2010 post in other pages about some issues about MBP uses an EFI not a BIOS and this avoids the hyper-v role to be installed but I’m not sure if this applies to this late generation of MBP.

Thank for you opinions and your help!

2. itegypt, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

correction...I used bootcamp once not vmware for that purpose

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not entirely sure what you are getting at here? You won't be able to run a Hyper-V server on 2008 R2 within VMware.

If I get time this weekend I'll give 2008 R2/Hyper-V a try in BootCamp.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can run Server 2008 under bootcamp even though its not officially supported. Just use Windows 7 drivers to install the drivers.

Hyper-V should work since the CPU supports it.

5. xeitu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your answers, In fact I know that even the processor supports hardware virtualization It’s not a guarantee that you can use it, for example Sony Vaio laptops comes with the VT capabilities disable and In many models there is no option inside BIOS utility to enable it. I suppose that is truly possible to install Windows Server 2008 R2 because its similarities with windows 7 but as I say before I'm not sure if the mac EFI is capable to translate or emulate BIOS behavior when hyper-v consults the state of the VT extensions.

6. MatP macrumors newbie

I would really think that virtualization is enabled on the hardware. VMware and parallels must use it or they would not work very well.

7. xeitu thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi guys I have ordered anyway a mbp 15" 2,4 with 8gb ram. Based on your commentaries and the info find in other forums I almost sure that there is no problem running my desired scenario. So I will run the tests on my own in a few days then I will share in this post the result. I didn't expect any obstacle, but just for the record or if somebody need a true confirmation that is possible to run w2k8+hyper-v.
    Greetings!!

8. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Bump, how did it turn out? I cant really see why it wouldn't work seeing you are using normal Intel cpu and hw that is supported in the server OS. Thanks