Server and Static IP for VPN

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Rokeneer, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Rokeneer macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have two Mac Minis that I am going to set up as servers for backups. I would also like to run a VPN on one of them. I know that within my own network I need to allocate a static IP for the computer, but I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone as to whether or not I need a static IP from my ISP. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Thanks.

2. 0d085d macrumors regular

You will need to either get a static IP from your ISP, or use a service such as DynDNS to keep a domain pointing at your home network.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Either options (ISP or DynDNS) are expensive for home use. Another option would be making your Mini writing its own IP on a well known URL (like a free web host). I did this on my Mini and it worked as long as I kept the Mini always awake.

The problem is if you want saving energy. Wake-On-Lan through the internet is some kind of hit-and-miss exercise. It seems that if you have an AirPort Express router you can wake up your Mac easily, but I never tried. Instead, I tried sending WoL messages from my cell phone and I don't remember if it fully worked. Perhaps it can work if you disabled deep sleep (hibernation).

Here is a discussion:
    http://osxdaily.com/2013/12/14/wake-on-lan-mac-iphone/

4. Rokeneer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I'll probably just get a static from my ISP as it's only $10 a month (small regional cable company). I know that for time warner internet with a static IP is $100+ for only 15down/1up. I'll be getting 50down/5up with the static IP for $70 a month from my cable company.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you don't need it for professional use, there are free services that dynamically update your home URL whenever your ISP IP changes. I use no-ip.com for my internet streaming server. A free utility runs in the background on my machine. When my IP changes, my free URL gets updated. It's nicer accessing your home system with a URL than an IP address.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

7. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

My ISP Plusnet gave me a static IP for a one off fee of £1, got to be the best UK ISP right now!