Server Conversion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by the6abds, Nov 30, 2013.

1. the6abds macrumors newbie

Hey

I would like to take my mid 2011 mini and turn it into a server. My primary need is for a Time Capsule. My family has 8 Mac Laptops and I am responsible for the tech support. I suppose I should add there are a whole boat load of iPads, iPhones and iPods also. (I feel like it is more of a small business then family since there is so many of them).

I am starting out with the Time Capsule with plans to add more as I figure out what I am doing. (Media server, calendar, mail, etc).

I have one child who is still doing homework on the mini, I would like to keep that as an option if I can?

Here are my questions?

When I install the $20 server package from the app store will it delete my current users and there data?

Can I add a external hard drive via firewire or thunderbolt to handle all the Time Capsule work? I do not want to use the single internal drive for anything other then the current files and the server software if I do not have to?

I would like to add a second drive later for media server when I figure out what I am doing? (I would like to move all my dvds to the server and access them from my lay-z-boy via my apple tv).

I have read all about the VPN mess that is part of the new Maverick package, I can wait for internet access to the server until that is fixed.

How complicated is the software? I am an end user for the most part not an i.t. guy. Can I figure this stuff out?

If there is some reading that will help, please point to it.

Thanks for you help.

2. dimme macrumors 65816

When I install the $20 server package from the app store will it delete my current users and there data?
    No

Can I add a external hard drive via firewire or thunderbolt to handle all the Time Capsule work? I do not want to use the single internal drive for anything other then the current files and the server software if I do not have to?
    Thats what I and going via firewire.

I would like to add a second drive later for media server when I figure out what I am doing? (I would like to move all my dvds to the server and access them from my lay-z-boy via my apple tv).
    I have 6 external drives hooked up to my mini. I don't own a apple TV so do not know about that.

I have read all about the VPN mess that is part of the new Maverick package, I can wait for internet access to the server until that is fixed.
    I do not need or use VPN and does not effect internet access or hinder what I an doing at all.

You should have no problem it's pretty easy for the basic stuff

3. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

The other thing that i'd spend some time on is profile manager, with that many users and devices it is a real god send.

Also what i'd do if i were you is take a day or two to familiarize yourself with how the thing works test things in a controlled environment (where you are not afraid of data loss) and then do a clean install of the osx and the server app.

For some really nice detail about the various components of the server app check this guy out. he isn't very thorough but its very beginner friendly and he goes through the various steps. he doesn't have all the ones for the MAV server app up yet but it is quite similar to the ML one so you could go through those videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tolthoff

Best of luck mate. i love using mine... :D (started maybe a few months ago)

EDIT: the VPN works as PPTP option only so if you really need it use that until 10.9.1 comes which is supposed to fix the L2TP issues :D

4. the6abds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank You both for your reply.

I will check out the link.

Thanks again

5. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

Glad i could help :D

Cheers,
    mate