Server from Mac Mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FlyingTexan, Jul 13, 2016.

1. FlyingTexan macrumors member

I have a mac mini that I purchased about a year ago, the cheapest one that's dual core with 500GB, and I use it as a media machine. It works perfect. I have it plugged into my receiver via HDMI then from the receiver to a 60" 4k tv.

I also have a 4TB external enclosed HD that plugs into the back of the mac that is completely empty. Is there a way to set things up so that I can completely backup my iphone and macbook pro when at home and connected to the wifi?

Is it also possible to make the mac mini have a network drive that I can access from the internet? I fly for a living and am always on the road. I'd like to be able to work on documents and what not by connecting from my macbook but storing everything there for redundancy.

Just curious. Thanks!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The $20 Mac OS X Server software would accommodate the second item paragraph.

The Mac OS X Server software isn't needed for the last paragraph, unless you want to do those backups from anywhere (it MIGHT work, not entirely certain). You can use Set up and use Back to My Mac - Apple Support to access your Mac Mini remotely using another Mac. This would work for file access and for screen sharing.