server harddrives? which are best/pretty good and decently priced?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Nov 1, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

Looking to get some server hard drives, sata type and a few ide (if they are still around)

just wanting to know everyones take on which ones are the best for music/video/photo server and are the most economical price wise?

i do not do any video/music editing, but will be accessing the server from 2 mini's and a mac pro.

thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Take a look at Western Digital's RAID Edition models (RE3 or RE4 line). I've had better luck with those than Seagate's as of late.

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks nano;

any example part numbers to look for? i know the re3 and re4 are the last numbers and letters to the drives,

not too tech advanced with the server drives.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

It will depend on the rpm speed you want, and the drive capacity.

If you want performance, you'd be best to go for 1TB or larger (multiple platters).

So the 1TB RE3 (WD1002FBYS) would be the minimum for decent performance (nice balance of performance/cost for a given capacity). You can parallel up a few more of them, if you're trying to get more throughput for the same budget as the RE4, and can spare the drive bays.

If not, the RE4 uses a higher platter density to achieve 2TB (WD2003FYYS). Cost/GB is slightly higher than the RE3 line last I checked, but they're all you have for absolute max capacity for a fixed number of drive bays. For now. ;)

The RE4-GP line is also only a single model @ 2TB (WD2002FYPS) is the power saver versions (slower spindle speeds, so lower performance per drive). Essentially the same as the 7200 rpm version, just the spindle is made to run slower to save on power. It makes sense in large racks, not so much in a workstation, where you usually want better performance, unless it's a backup drive. They're perfect for that.

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks nano, as i am looking to build up towards 10-15 drives for my server (unraid server), i have to say they look a bit expensive, hopefully i can buy them in bulk or from someone upgrading theirs?

why not seagates? i have heard they maybe better than WD's for servers?

thanks

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

As a person that runs large storage arrays for a living that need to be fast and reliable, I won't use anything other than Seagate NS drives. WD isn't even on the radar.

S-

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

which ones are cost effective for the average home networker?

I need to obtain between 10-15 throughout the year of course, not all at the same time.

8. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

on another note: big yellow machine NAS?

I also need advice about the Yellow machine NAS for a huge time machine backup.

i have one i bought off of ebay and it takes 4 ide drives, but i am wanting to get sata to ide adapters or just plain ol' ide's.

here is the questions:

I currently have an aebs wan(ed) to my dsl modem, but the yellow machine can be a router/nas/or a bunch of other things...

how would i hook everything up for a huge time machine back up for :

2 mac minis
    1 mac pro
    1 hp laptop?

do i have to hook each up to the yellow machine, or can i just plug that into my aebs and access it that way?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/review-p400t,review-593.html

or

http://www.geek.com/articles/xyzcom...-machine-terabyte-storage-appliance-20050930/

thanks guys,

i ask becuase i am confused as to how i need to hook it all up,

my unraid server will need to be connected to the network as well so all my items can see it and share its drives!

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... We're in opposite sides of the world and I've been experiencing the same fate with Seagate drives. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if the manufacturer offer 5yr warranty's with their drives, if they fail, we can lose data, waste time and income.

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

11. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You can use Google, right?

Just get SATA.....

S-

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

I used to swear by Seagate's SATA enterprise drives, until I ran into the "Boot of Death" issue with the recent ES.2's (it's part of the Baracuda debacle that focused around the 1.5TB capacity units).

The firmware flaws were more wide spread than many realized, and I wasn't the only one burnt by it. But it's not as well known on the enterprise drives, if the systems haven't yet had to be restarted. It's a disaster waiting to happen if the firmware hasn't been updated, and even then, there's still been reports of issues.

One of my reasons for liking WD is the fact you can adjust the TLER values in the Green drives (pre RE4-GP unit's availability) for low power requirements. They weren't true enterprise models, but the UBE is 1E15, and they do make great on-site backup arrays.

Both Seagate and WD are very competitive, so base it on what you need for capacity and drive quantity.

Without further details, it's hard to say. I gave you as much information as I could previously in terms of how to choose between the models. You can do a simple Cost/GB (that really is the formula, super simple). But they're going to be quite close.

You can find deals here and there, but don't go getting all your drives from the same location, as you don't want them from the same batch. Otherwise, if there's a problem, it can happen to more than one drive simultaneously, and take your data with it. I.e. additional drive failures during a rebuild.

Either buy from different vendors, or as you're intersted in, get them at different times to keep the S/N's from being non-sequential (or even close = same batch).

Yes.

Boot of Death. :rolleyes: :( Seagate really pissed me off over this one (SATA models). :mad:

14. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not as techy as most so i am not sure what it means to adjust the tler value on green drives. so would this make them better for strictly back ups correct? and how do you adjust those, (i would proly need to be a bit more techy correct?)

Also you stated

yes to the bottom quote, yes i have to hook them directly to the yellow machine or

could i extend my network and hook the aebs to the yellow machine (wired) and still make backups to the yellow machine while my items are wired to the aebs?

Thanks for all the help macrumors peeps! I really did need the assistance, once this is answered i will be a bit closer to setting it all up and having a huge time machine and a nice unraid server with the whole house full of entertainment possibilites!

thanks! appreciated!!

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Green Power drives are meant to save money on operations costs (electricity bill). It's not so important to small systems, especially those used by individuals, and if the system is a workstation, the higher performance of 7200rpm drives gives better throughputs.

Each situation has to be examined individually. Simply put, it's a case-by-case basis. So if you don't need max throughputs, GP drives can work, and backup is a perfect example. The earlier GP drives were consumer models with some enterprise specifications, namely the Unrecoverable Bit Error (1E15 for enterprise, and typically 1E14 for consumer models). It's a 10 fold increase, and in cases of high availability (uptime), it matters.

You've a couple of options.

1. Hook it to the AEBS, and it will act as a "Storage Only" device, as you're still using the AEBS's firewall.

2. You can attach it in between the DSL modem and AEBS, and attach the end systems to the Yellow. This can allow WAN access to the Yellow (allows it's firewall to controll the AEBS and down).

IIRC, theres a little more information in one of the reviews you linked, so you might want to re-read it. ;) There should be more information in it's manual as well (perhaps a download of it, if you don't yet have the unit in hand).

Hope this helps. :)

16. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

the y machine has 1 wan port to add the dsl modem, so after i do this i can then hook 1 wire from the aebs to the y machine and run it down staiirs and add all my stuff downstairs to the aebs, and everything should see the yellow machine right? (kind of confused)

IIRC, theres a little more information in one of the reviews you linked, so you might want to re-read it. There should be more information in it's manual as well (perhaps a download of it, if you don't yet have the unit in hand).

I will ahve to look for a manual as it was huge and the guy did not have it.

thanks for all the help!!

will set it all up within the next couple weeks.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

If I understand you correctly on the installation hierarchy, yes.

18. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes in the installation, it will be:

dsl modem>wan(ed) to Yellow machine

aebs>wired to lan port of ym

then ran downstairs to run:

ps3/mini/airport extreme/wireless for laptops!

thanks!!

19. emt377 macrumors member

Green drives are also much quieter and run cooler (= less fan activity). I've been swapping out all my old drives (mainly 500GB Seagates) with WD Green labels for this reason. The performance difference is so marginal it's not worth the bother, far less important than having a quiet workspace.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

They do run cooler, and that also attributes to a lower electricity bill in enterprise environments, as the "juice" sucked up by the HVAC systems is reduced as well, assuming there's enough of them.

The electricity bills for large corporations' data centers isn't tiny by any means, and it gets scrutinized for means of reducing it. Hence the "Green Power" market was born. ;)