server help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Noddycan, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Noddycan macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I currently have an old dell optiplex running win7 hosting my itunes files in an internal 2tb drive this links to the network via an ethernet cable to a dlink router and I have a first gen ATV that syncs wireless to it.

I have just bought a ATV2 for another room and want to upgrade the server setup.

I want to get an Airport Extreme and either an older Mac Pro and have 3 - 4 2tb internal drives setup as a raid or get a mac mini and have an external thunderbolt/usb raid with a similar amount of storage.

what do you guys think? which option would you go for?

Thanks heaps!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd probably go with the Mini option, only to save money on buying a Mac Pro.

3. mr.iso macrumors member

4. Noddycan thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant really add storage to the dell due to the case size it only has 2 bays.. and i would also like to use iFlicks for updating metadata and thats only availible on mac

5. mr.iso macrumors member

Well, you said thunderbolt/usb storage on the mac mini, I'm sure you can add USB storage to the Dell? Or even ESATA via a PCI card? Thunderbolt for a media library would be overkill.

And how often do you change metadata on a file? Do you really need iFlicks?

I mean, the mac mini is nice, I want one too, but I don't see how an appletv2 requires you drastically changing your setup...

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I agree, you could probably just add a USB device to your Dell and make due with that.

However... I got a Mac Mini, I use and love iFlicks on it, and I've got it connected to a 10+ tb NAS. So... It might be a little disingenuous for me to tell you not to do what I just did. I like the system, its quiet and reliable and didn't cost too much. Well, the NAS wasn't cheap but the rest of it was very reasonable for what I got.

Regarding the Mac Pro, its too large, takes too much power and costs too much. The Mini is what you want for this job. Its cheaper, has a warranty, uses a fraction of the power, is quieter, smaller and, for your uses, just as expandable. Between the 4 x USB, Firewire 800, Gigabit ethernet and Thunderbolt you've got plenty of options to connect storage so you can have all your media available.

Now, you could use the Mac Pro, its just a bit of an overkill for what you need. Get the Mini. :)

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

If you have a mac already, you can use iFlicks on it for files on the network.

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

9. Noddycan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tips, i do have an older imac with iflicks on it. i have tried using iflicks over the network and it doesnt seem to work (either hangs or doesnt actually load into iflicks)

That raid enclosure looks very cool....

10. gouda272 macrumors regular

11. Noddycan thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think I might get a Mac mini and one of these external raid enclosures.

12. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

If you're dead set on axing the Dell (and I don't blame you), then that's probably the best option other than building your own box. Best of luck :)