Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I just picked up a Mac Mini, not the server edition, but I'm wondering what the advantages of installing OS X Server are? Especially for home use. I have an iPhone and 2 iPads, I like the idea of remote access, but OS X Server isn't necessary for that.

I'm just curious, I like to play with new things, and OS X Server caught my eye when deciding which Mac Mini to get.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The bottom line answer is "if you don't know, you don't need it". Back when I got it (Snow Leopard Server) it was expensive, powerful, and fairly difficult to set up. Now it's inexpensive, anaemic, and much easier to set up. So you can consider it a $20 toy to play with, if nothing else.

In any case, in a house with only one Mac, it makes no sense to get the server software since there is no other computer to "serve" and the services it can offer to iOS devices can be done more easily with iCloud.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
When I posted, I was thinking the same thing. If I have to ask, I probably don't need it. But like I said, I'm just curious and like playing with new things. Plus I figured someone here might post some real cool use I hadn't thought of.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The documentation should be available on the Apple site in case you want to see all that it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.