Server issues - Apple needs to release over more days

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by applerocks, Sep 19, 2013.

1. applerocks, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

applerocks macrumors regular

On one hand, apple didn't truly crash yesterday, which is great. Still, downloads took infuriatingly long, and it was not always the best experience.

With more and more devices (and thus upgrade requests) every day, at what point does Apple move to a staged release cycle (iPhone 5 one day, 4/4S the second, etc.?

College networks across the country went down yesterday because they couldn't handle it. Maybe Apple can handle it, but the infrastructure can't. It's incredible. At what point does Apple say "there has to be a better way"? Or do they?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I personally don't think Apple cares one way or the other. If your network can't handle it then why should they care? Eventually everyone will get the update. This is why I always wait until the next day or a few days later. There's no point in dealing with that massive frustration.

If you release updates favoring new devices then some little brat is going to cry about it. I have a 4S and I'm speaking as someone who would likely be delayed in getting any updates if they set releases on some kind of hierarchy.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not sure it is an Apple problem
    Looks like their servers did just fine IMO
    And they can't be held responsible for college networks

I upgraded 5 devices yesterday with no issues and very little wait time at all

I think it is more of an expectation issue with users who demand immediate gratification
    The servers functioned well enough

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I upgraded two devices yesterday and while I can empathize with some waiting along time, my experience was quick

5. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

There definitely were server issues yesterday. I did clean installs on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S and I wasn't able to activate them for a couple hours.

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Apple create the problem though Mac by refusing to stage release as the OP said.

They knew they wanted the new phones out on the 20th with iOS 7 preloaded, so everything should work back from there.

I've said before but with the 20th in mind, iTunes 11.1 should have been released last week or Monday latest.

iOS 7 released yesterday.

Only app critical bug fixes allowed initially, with iOS 7 cosmetic UI and new functionality updates from Friday or next week.

7. TomH TX macrumors regular

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

At the point that they don't anticipate the sheer amount of nerd rage felt across the internet when people wonder why THEY aren't allowed to get it right away.

Seriously, without drastically increasing their server capacity, there is no way to make everyone happy.

9. applerocks thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, but even if they did increase capacity, other systems are going down. iTunes Radio has been slow. Siri was out last night for awhile. Next year, when we're at 800 million iOS devices sold (and probably more), it'll keep getting worse.

Bottom line: no system can (or is it cost effective for it to) handle that many incoming requests at once. Just don't see the downsides in staggering, even just by 12 hours.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're right, but you saw how people on here were getting the shakes because they couldn't get 7 before 1pm EST, imagine if Apple told them to wait an extra day.

11. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Great point - there is a wider impact.

That's true but if Apple had told them;

iTunes 11.1 will be out on Friday 13th September at 10:00 Pacific so you can prepare for the upcoming release of iOS 7.

iOS 7 will be released on Wednesday 18th at 10:00 Pacific.

The iPhone 5S and 5C will be available from the 20th.

Critical bug fixes for Apps will be allowed, but all iOS 7 UI and feature updates will begin from Monday 23rd September at 10:00 Pacific.

People would've dealt with it and Apple would have had a sensible plan.

If they'd then slipped on those commitments, well that's another story.

12. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

There are regular reports of new and upgraded data centers. There are just a staggering number of new devices to go with them. The basic issue is that this is a free high value change. If it really sucked or only worked with a few models or cost $25, delivery capacity would not be an issue.

13. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

What third world college do you go to that crashed over an Apple update?
    Sounds like they need to fire their entire IT staff.

14. applerocks thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I just saw this. Well, since I'm not in school, not mine. And if by "third world" [sic] you mean NYU, then yes, a third-world college went down.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-7-caused-college-campuses-lose-internet-2013-9

I hate when facts get in the way of a good insult.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Good one. :) I don't have a link but the release caused a noticeable spike in general Internet traffic and caused problems with more than just colleges. Noticeable as in jaw-dropping.

16. elmizzt macrumors newbie

theres a big difference between crashing a college's internet, and crashing their wifi network.

I hate when people bump useless dead threads to wave their epeens.

17. applerocks thread starter macrumors regular

Reading gets a point once again. To quote my original comment, "College networks across the country" NOT "college's internet."

And I wouldn't say its useless thread at all. Apple's services were slow all week: Siri, iTunes Radio, and even iTunes Match. There's a reason many big companies do phased updates, and as seen here, others agreed.

Cheers

18. elmizzt macrumors newbie

yes. thats the point. nobody cares about college networks, and it's insignificant if they go down. media is clueless and will overdramatize the impact.

this thread is useless. large software releases and distribution of heavy load has been discussed ad nauseum over the last couple decades. and the time for its discussion of this specific incident is way past anyways, hence "dead thread"

btw if we're being pedantic, i never said you said "college's internet" wow see how that works?

19. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

What fact is that? That your university has an incompetent IT staff? Yeah! That really makes me want to go enroll right now!

The community college down the street with 3x the enrollment of NYU handled iOS7 just fine.

Try again.

You must be amused easily.

So one link to a tweet and another one says:
    Yeah! I guess is really widespread across the country, huh? Context clues. I guess college isn't for everyone.