Server lags on Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jpcanaverde, Jul 4, 2013.

1. jpcanaverde macrumors member

Hey.

I have a Bukkit server running on Mavericks, and I have some issues with it. I know, it's only a Beta, but Betas exist to fix bugs before the final release.

The console keeps spamming this:

[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

My users complain about tremendous lag. I think it has something to do with App Nap, because it gets better if I bring terminal or Pail to the front. Either that or something to do with the new memory management introduced in Mavericks.

Found a temporary fix: keeping the terminal's/Pail's window visible in the corner of the screen. Not really a solution though.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Contact apple and file a bug report. I'd not worry about performance and lagging because it is a beta and apple has debugging code, its not the final optimized version.

3. Galaxas0 macrumors regular

This is odd, it seems fine for me, but if it continues to pose a problem, I've optimized my bukkit "launcher script" like so:

Code:
    java -Djava.awt.headless=true -server -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xms256M -Xmx2G -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

4. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

Apple would probably just blame it on Oracle or something.

Your script works, thanks! :D

Now I just gotta figure out a way to make that work with RemoteToolkit...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not about blame but rather providing Apple with sufficient information so that can track down potential bugs or bottlenecks where performance can be impacted.

6. jpcanaverde thread starter macrumors member

I think it may have something to do with the way Java works, that's why I said Apple would probably just blame it on Oracle. They probably can't/won't fix it, because Java is Oracle's "problem".

Anyway, I don't think I have enough information to provide other than "it lags if the window is not upfront". Although I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new App Nap feature...