Server printing (Windows only, supposedly)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpt-matthew, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

My University has a page about printing from your laptop, it states it is only for Windows and does not support Mac OS :( I dont believe it because loads of stuff says its not for mac but you can still get it to work.

Can anyone have a stab at making a method for Mac OS please.
    Thanks

The page is here:
    http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/itservices/resources/cs/2ls/printing/warp

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It might be able to "install" those print drivers in OS X under crossover. You could then print as pdf, then open the pdf in a windows pdf viewer running under crossover and print to the warp driver you installed inside crossover.

It might also be possible to "surf" to the printers themselves using an ordinary web browser. When you are standing in front of one of the campus printers, make a note of the host name and ip address. Many modern printers offer the ability to print files by sending them to the printer using ftp. Another option is to "install" the printer in OS X using OS X's included "cups" driver. Again, you are logging in to the university wireless but you are bypassing all their gear and printing directly to the printer.

Frankly, I expect anything short of the windows print driver running in parallels or crossover to fail. I think you must log in using your windows credentials to use the printer. This is because I suspect the university wants to be able to enforce billing per page printed and they are "IT lazy" and this is why they require windows to use their pay per print service.

3. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

How would i find the host name and ip address of the printer, then how would i use this with ftp printing?
    thanks

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

From what I can see, you only need proper credentials to install the special print driver required by the server. Of course, that is the UK. However, I have a very difficult time getting my mind around the notion that anyone with a laptop would need to print a job to some remote printer somewhere, would want to travel to that location to retrieve the job, and then would want to transport the document to wherever it will be used. And to top it all off, they are charging for the service.

I know that hotels and places in the US like FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) provide print for pay printers. Those places cater to professionals. This is aimed at students, I gather. I just don't get it.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you are standing there looking at a printer, look for a label on the printer. If there is no label then chances are the IT folks have decided you don't need to know the IP address or printer name as it makes it easier for you to get around their windows-ness and print from your Mac.

I think the driver will be running under windows and whenever you print to a windows printer, unless the print server accepts "guest" connections, your login is part of your print job.

Just because students can least afford pay per print doesn't mean Universities aren't going to stick them for a nickel a page or even more. But let's assume for a minute that printing is free for students. They still need your University login to prove that you are not somebody "off the street" mooching free paper and toner. I bet your login stops working (for printing) as soon as you are no longer registered for classes in the current semester.

Universities often break logins into "rings'. The outermost ring is used for prospective students to upload their application. The next ring is used for registration and so forth. The innermost ring allows access to online courses you are registered for and allows printing, etc. Getting access to campus wifi is sometimes tiered as well. A well thought out IT approach could provide that any active student would be identified by their wifi login. This is the way it works at U of M. One login works for everything and you lose things (like the ability to connect to wifi or to print) when you are no longer registered or when there are "holds" on your account.

6. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

I do have credentials, I also dont mind paying (in fact i would prefer to pay so it is official).

What the deal is, when you want to print something at the uni, you have to save it to a memory stick, or connect to the server and transfer it to your user area. Find a free library computer (this is the hard part!) then print it. Then you go to any printer in the uni and each pinter is linked to a PC which you release the print job from.
    I just thought it would be more convenient to print from my laptop, missing out having to find a free computer.

thanks