Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I downloaded and installed Server 2.1.1 on my iMac, with the aim of setting up a network at home that can be accessed by all at home (2 x iPads, 2 x iPhones, and a MacBook), and also making a VPN so I could access from work.

Being new to this I have come to my first stumbling block. During setup, I allowed the server to control one of my Airport Extremes (No 1), where the internet connection comes into the house.

I now find that unless I am logged in to the computer, and Server is running, the wireless will not work.

How do I remove this restriction and have the Airport Extreme work independently, so even if the iMac is switched off, the wireless is still available?

The way I am set up I have the following at home:

• Airport Extreme 1 - Upstairs connected to a Motorola router from my provider. This acts as the "main" wireless connection
  • 3 TB Time Machine - Hard wired to the Airport Express 1 serving as a backup only
  • Airport Extreme 2 - Hard wired to the Airport Extreme 1 downstairs giving wireless to the downstairs of the house
  • Airport Express 1 - Upstairs connected to the printer so can be accessed from all over the house
  • Airport Express 2 - Connected to the Stereo to allow input from iMac iTunes, or from any of the other devices

Without the server running, none of the other devices will connect to the internet, so I really would like to get back to the old setup, and then have the server operate without needing to control Airport Extreme 1.

Any help really appreciated.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Re: Radius...

Hi,

I believe you inadvertently allowed RADIUS to be switched on by your server. The RADIUS service provides authentication, authorization, and accounting services for your network. Your router allows access to your network once RADIUS authentication and authorization is obtained, thus if the server is not running, then the router does not allow access. Makes sense.

To stop this, go to the Server.app pane and click on the Hardware listing of your router. Under Settings you should see that the box for "Require user name and password login over Wi-Fi" is checked. Uncheck this box. This should restart your router without the RADIUS, if it doesn't, then use the Airport Utility to restart your router.

This should clear up your troubles (of course, your router will have to be appropriately setup to allow connections to all of your other devices, say by MAC addresses, or whatever you decide).

Good luck,
Switon

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Yes that seems to be what I did. Thank you very much for helping me out!

Has put a bit of a scare into me now, so I think I need to read what I can before I go any further. I have had horrendous experiences with Windows servers before and left them alone in the end.

With my change over to Mac and finding everything so easy, I thought I would see how I got on with the OS X Server.

Seems I have reawakened all the old fears! :eek:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Mac OS X Server....

Hi,

I really would suggest that you continue with the Mac OS X Server, as it is about as user friendly as is possible. I don't think you will have too many troubles with the remaining services, as they are straightforward in their setup using the Server.app. (I do wish, however, that Apple would better explain that checking the "Require user name and password" switches on the RADIUS service, restarts the router, and from that point forward requires the RADIUS service to be running in order to gain access to the network.) I think your experiences with Mac OS X Server will be considerably less traumatic than your experiences with Windows servers.

Switon

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Switon,

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I dont think that anything can compare to the difficulties encountered with windows servers! They have to be the most user unfriendly systems going. I often wonder whether they were brought about purely to help create the IT industry! :rolleyes:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Servers...

Hi RedHat,

I like your moniker, by the way, and it is entirely apropos...you see, my first linux after the original Torvalds's linux was RedHat. And I have friends who have made similar remarks to yours about Windows servers, but fortunately I have always been in the unix/linux/gnu end of things and so never had to deal too much with the windows servers. Once again, I think you will find Mac OS X Server a breeze.

Regards,
Switon

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Hi RedHat,

I like your moniker, by the way, and it is entirely apropos...you see, my first linux after the original Torvalds's linux was RedHat. And I have friends who have made similar remarks to yours about Windows servers, but fortunately I have always been in the unix/linux/gnu end of things and so never had to deal too much with the windows servers. Once again, I think you will find Mac OS X Server a breeze.

Regards,
Switon

I've always been a linux/unix guy myself and have never had any severe problems with them. Once setup , they just keep doing what they're told forever. (usually RedHat based distros)

Recently I've had some experiences with Windows Server 2008 R2 that have left me wondering why people bother. (well software dependancies I guess...)

PS, the OP's handle is rAthat (emphasis mine), which is something else entirely...

RatHat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
A Rat Hat:

rat_hat1.jpg

Just FYI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.