Server usage?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by JAT, Oct 27, 2009.

1. JAT macrumors 603

What is the upper limit of server processor usage before you should consider an upgrade?

My company has just been told (we use external IT service) that our Win2003 server is running at 50%, sometimes more, and we should upgrade. I'm hardly a network guy, but it sounds like a shakedown to me. The new virus software they installed is slowing everything down. EVERYTHING.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

50% is when I would start planning for a new box or an upgrade. If the CPU rises over the next few months, then get a new box. If not, then wait awhile until you see it begin to rise.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

50% sustained? That's BAD. Time to upgrade.
    Yesterday.

4. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

5. belvdr macrumors 603

You can't take a point in time snapshot and make decisions. Examine resource usage over time so you can make an informed decision. Even 50% sustained isn't bad, if it is sustained over a long period. For example, if it is 50% sustained over the past 6 months, then the load isn't increasing that much, so you may not need to upgrade right now.

Honestly 50% is not much, but something to be aware of. It's not like you can save the cycles for later.