Server vs Home edition.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sunnzy, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Sunnzy macrumors regular

Does anyone know are the difference bettwen OS X Server and OS X "Home"?

From what I have seen from Apple web-site Server one has server tools like apache, clamav, etc... but I am wondering if it lacks things that are only found in the "Home" edition?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The only real difference is that you get nice GUI tools to administer your server with Mac OS X Server. You could run a server with the client edition except that you would need to do all the administration through the command line and a text editor.

Other than that they are pretty much the same although there are a few small differences between the two.

3. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

This isn't Windows. Mac OS X does all the stuff most people need. You will want Mac OS X Server if you are a webmaster who hosts websites on his own computers.

4. Sunnzy thread starter macrumors regular

So OS X Server is OS X with some extra stuff... but it has everything OS X have, right?

5. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

Unless you are a professional webmaster and/or you run a server farm, you don't need Mac OS X Server. It has extra features, all of which are for web design/hosting.

6. Sunnzy thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I know it has extra features, I looked at it at the Apple web-site as I said in the first post, confirmed by another user, and repeated by myself again.

My question is if it has everything OS X have, like it is built on top of OS X.

7. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

Yes it does, but if you are a regular user you don't need it.

8. Sunnzy thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I am not so "regular"... that's why I am asking about OS X Server.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

OK, so please enlighten us as to what you do or plan on doing? Then we could better inform you on your decision.

OS X "Home" also includes the Apache server - so you could host a web page from your home computer without upgrading to OS X Server. Even for a home media "server" OS X "Home" would be fine.

Server includes more technology for things such as administering domains (such as a corporate workgroup domain).

So like I said, let us know what you plan on doing.

10. Sunnzy thread starter macrumors regular

Look, I am just wondering if there is anything that the "home" edition have that server edition does not, and is purely out of curiosity, not making any decision or anything, nothing more, nothing less, just a simple question.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No they aren't.

Some are, but to say all the extra features are for web hosting is silly.

The simple answer is no. The client and server system are based on exactly the same base. The only real difference is the GUI server admin tools as I have already stated.

12. Sunnzy thread starter macrumors regular

So it has all the "desktop" apps... like preview, dashboard, iCal? (Say I am sitting in front o a Xserve, bored, I could start downloading game widgets and play in he dashboard and may be iChat with people.)

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, os x server has everything that os x client has. and you can run the gui tools on os x client as well (they are used for configuring and monitoring a server - you can do remotely with a client machine)

to give you an example, let's say that you have a client machine, and you want to put OS X Server on it. It will tell you that instead of doing a clean install, you can just install a package from the disk to upgrade to Server edition.

so that proves that it has everything the client edition has