Service battery 2016 13" tbMBP - 4 cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keviig, Mar 19, 2017.

1. keviig, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017

keviig macrumors 6502

I've had my 2016 tbMBP (13" 256GB base model) a few weeks.
    When I got it it happily provided me with 7-9 hours of battery life (light safari browsing).
    Now, I haven't used it a lot on battery power, hence it only has 4 cycles.

Yesterday I took it off the charger and spent a few hours browsing Safari. I noticed the battery % dropped quicker than I was used to but didn't give it much though.

Now today I started using it on battery power again after charging it fully over night, and noticed the same quick drain. I decided to click the battery icon (see attachment) and it said "Service battery"!
    System Report gives the same status.

Activity Monitor currently quotes me 1hr50m remaining after 2 minutes on battery.
    I am currently running the latest updated MacOS software (10.12.3 not beta).
    I have rebooted it, but keep getting the same message.

Could this be a bug? Or is there probably a faulty battery in my MBP?
    Anything I could do before contacting Apple?

Thanks!

EDIT: SMC reset didn't help.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 18.23.23.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 18.24.20.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 18.23.50.jpg

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It probably is not a bug, and the battery needs service. A variety of things could have happened (or been wrong with it from production) that would cause the battery monitoring systems in place to detect a potentially problematic issue. As I do not know whether or not Apple portables shut down the battery if their monitoring systems detect a potentially hazardous condition (for example, if the system is not terminating the charge at the correct cutoff voltage, or if thermal damage has occurred), I would not personally try anything at that point, minimize usage, and take it for service ASAP.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The full charge capacity shown is way below what it should be (over 4300 mAH), so something is definitely wrong. Resetting SMC would be the logical thing, and you already tried that, so I'd call Apple or go to the Apple Store.

4. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

This thing has been babied from the moment I opened it, so I doubt I've done anything myself to damage it. Probably a manufacturing defect.

Problem is there are no Apple Stores here in Norway so I'll probably have to send it in.
    Will shut the Mac off just in case and use my desktop PC until I've talked to Apple on the phone tomorrow. Dont want to risk it turning into a fire hazard.

A bit strange that it didn't notify me in any way though. I had to manually click the battery icon to see the "Service Battery" message.

Thanks for the replies!

5. jksu macrumors regular

yup get it repaired/exchanged. sorry. apple q/a slipping. but that's why i buy applecare for new models

6. chabig macrumors 68040

New computers are warrantied for one year. AppleCare changes nothing in this case.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Not a conclusion supported by the rarity of this problem.

8. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

So i just had a lengthy call with Apple.

Support agent asked me a ton of questions, and put me through to a senior agent that concluded the MBP needed to be brought in for repairs.

After the call i decided to give reformatting and reinstalling MacOS a try, as i was wiping it before leaving it in for repairs anyway.

It now states that the battery condition is normal, but "Full Charge Capacity (mAh)" is still 2578 mAh, or 60% of "New capacity (4315 mAh)" according to Battery monitor. 2578 mAh is reported both by MacOS "System Report" and Battery Monitor.

I'm guessing it just has to run a cycle before it gives the warning again?