Service battery (33 months old)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by emembee, Oct 21, 2015.

1. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

My 2012 13inch Air (8/256 1.8 i5) is under 3 years old (bought Jan 2013) but have just seen a Service Battery under the menu top bar icon. Using Coconut Battery tells me the capacity is down to 76% and load cycles are 280, is that why I have the Service message, and would I need to get a replacement battery?

I am running latest El Capitan and only just seen this issue so maybe it is related, or do Apple want customers to get batteries changed if under 80% charge?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Do you have AppleCare? If you do, they now cover batteries under the extended warranty, so I'd go and get that sorted ASAP.

3. emembee thread starter macrumors regular

emembee

No I don't. Guess I need a genius!

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

id try charging it to 100 % , and reset pram and smc before paying $129 at the apple store.
    . i had a service battery once, and it went away.. its supposed to be 80 % at 1000 cycles

12-inch MacBook,
    13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display $199

17-inch MacBook Pro $179

11-inch/13-inch MacBook Air,
    13-inch MacBook,
    13-inch/15-inch MacBook Pro $129

5. emembee thread starter macrumors regular

emembee

Just today the service battery display has gone, despite it bring 77%, so no idea what happened but in System Profile it puts battery health as 'good'.

So I will just hang on I think and not look at a new battery ... though not getting much more than about 3 hours but I can live with that anyway.

6. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

The battery in my 2012 13" alternated between "replace now" and "good" for a while until one day my battery life dropped drastically and I started getting really sporadic battery readings [my battery would go from 100% to ~60% in the span of 10 minutes or so, then up to ~80%, then suddenly to ~10%, and my MBA would just shut off]. It turned out that all of the cells in my battery had failed catastrophically.

I don't mean to scare you, but there's a possibility that's what's going on.