Service Battery after Mavericks was installed

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by KimHansenDK, Nov 2, 2013.

1. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Do any of you see the "Service Battery" message when clicking on the battery icon? My 2012 MacBook Air has about 100 cycles and the battery has been great so far. After I installed Mavericks I see the message "Service Battery". I cannot seem to get it to disappear. I have tried to reset SMC to no effect.

Maybe I need to calibrate it? Or is it merely a Mavericks bug??

2. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

Have you tried having your battery serviced at an Apple store? My guess is that mavericks probably performs better tests against the battery to identify if it needs to be serviced than before, and not that installing Mavericks had any negative effect on your battery.

3. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

It went away - and I did not to anything to disappear.

Strange....but I think it must be something with Mavericks.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Noticed the 'service battery' indicator on my early-2011 13" MBP a week or so ago. I believe it's probably been there since I upgraded to Mavericks, however. My battery health as indicated by iStat Pro using Mountain Lion before upgrading was around 92% with about 270 cycles. Now iStat is reading a battery health of 63% with 280 cycles. I've read some of the Apple discussion forum threads and there doesn't seem to be a fix yet. I had noticed that my battery performance was not good after the Mavericks upgrade but just starting looking at my battery statistics over the last week. Anyone have any insight to a fix?

5. troyblinka macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, with only 280 cycles on my battery, that I had replaced by Apple 11 months earlier. I brought it to the local Apple store, they ran a diagnostic, saw the battery had failed, and replaced it on them. It took less than 24 hours.

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

It looks like some people have had luck recalibrating their batteries. I'm going to try that today. I really don't want to switch out a battery that has been working properly before a software update. The OS is not seeing the full capacity if the battery for some reason. This has been happening on batteries that have less than 100 cycles.