Service battery and totally confused...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newyorkmacman, Dec 11, 2010.

1. newyorkmacman macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I've had my macbook, 13inch poly unibody for less than a year now and I use it quite a lot for school and work.

Ater charging it the other day I noticed a "service battery" error which went away the next. I checked the power section in the System Utilities and I noticed that my battery has shifted from "Good" to "normal" and I'm now at 469 cycles which I do not understand....

I also notice a very quiet humming-- I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid and searching for problems or if there's a correlation amongst the issues.

I've let the battery wear it self down and shut down and sit for a few hours and fully charge which has helped, but now it only holds charge for about 3-4 hours or so, opposed to the 5 hours I got when I initially bought it.

Any advice on what I can do? Should I get a new battery or try something else? I can't bare the thought of parting away from my macbook because its MY LIFE, lol. So any advice that would allow me to service it on my own would be more than appreciated.

Perhaps I've overcharged it? Please help me! Thanks so much in advance my fellow mac users. Regardless of the few issues I've faced, I cannot fathom using another system after using mac.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Do you charge and discharge it multiple times a day? That's the only explanation I can think of for the 469 cycles. If you really do use battery that often, try using it off of AC a bit more as constantly cycling the battery is not particularly good for it. If you use it normally (1 cycle per day or less), then you may want to talk to apple about that.

3. newyorkmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! When I purchased the macboo, I was told keeping it on the AC wasn't too good for it. So, now I'll use the AC more.

But it seems like the "service battery" status comes up if I've kept the AC connected after the battery's charged. I'll monitor it for a few days and see what happens.

I really hope that I haven't ruined my mac. Is there any way I can make the battery healthier? Thank you

4. Lordedmond, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

Lordedmond macrumors regular

Batteries have a finite service life as your batt is now saying normal it indicates that the life span is shortening when it gets down to poor, you will have to buy a new Battery

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If it's less than a year, take it to Apple and let them deal with it. Even a battery should be covered within that period (though of course only they can tell you for sure if it's actually defective or if it's just used up ahead of the normal schedule). I'd suspect you may just have a battery that's not reporting properly.

jW

6. MDiak47 macrumors newbie

Yeah..Had the same issue with my macbook. They gave me a new battery with few questions.

7. newyorkmacman, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

newyorkmacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all! 1 more inquiry...

Thanks to all who've commented! I REALLY appreciated. I was extremely worried.

Fortunately, I took it to Apple today and they replaced the battery- no problem with no cost to me. I also bought the 2-yr extended warranty in case this issue happens again.

I checked the status of the new battery and it says "Normal." Should it be "good" or something else? Here are the new stats:
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2441
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 5785
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 0
    Condition: Normal

Lastly, I was told that I should never leave my macbook plugged in while I'm using it. They said that if I'm working on something, once it finishes charging I should unplug it. But, won't that increase the cycles significantly? Argh, I don't know what to do about that. So, if you'd kindly advise on that matter I would be VERY appreciative. I use my macbook so much, I'd probably end up going through 2 charges/ day if that was the case.

Thank you all again.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Good, glad to hear it. Just a small note, though, the battery isn't necessarily covered for the 3-year AppleCare. It's considered a consumable item, so it's only covered it if fails abnormally and is determined to have been defective (there's a fairly simple test they run to determine that). Still, if you have this type of problem again you should be in good shape.

jW

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. Don't believe everything people tell you, including the "Geniuses" at the Apple stores. "Genius" is their job title, not an indication of their knowledge, experience or intelligence.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ