Service battery fix? (software issue)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMacFinder, May 3, 2012.

1. AppleMacFinder, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Because my HD partitions table got corrupted and Disk Utility couldn't repair it,
    I have performed a clean install of Mac OS X Lion.
    Immediately after that, I have started to receive a "Service battery" warning
    and my battery capacity dropped suddenly from 98% to 67%.
    My battery is young (only 73 cycles) and was really lightly used.

I strongly believe it is a software issue. Already tried some suggestions:
    • Reset SMC by holding Shift+Alt+Ctrl and power button for 10 seconds
    • Reset PRAM and NVRAM by holding Command+Option+P+R before gray screen appears
    That doesn't help. :confused:
    Please tell me, do you know how to fix the issue without reinstalling Lion again?
    Maybe SMC firmware reset?

2. Elpimpo macrumors newbie

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

+1

I don't think this is a software issue, but a coincidental hardware one. Go to the Apple store. Since your battery has so little use, they should replace it for free.

EDIT: I'm sleepy, didn't pick up on all the details. How old is your battery? You said it's been lightly used... the battery SHOULD be used fairly regularly to keep it healthy. If your computer is out of warranty, you may not be able to get it replaced.

4. AppleMacFinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

In Russia, there are no official Apple stores, and local authorized reseller stores offer to change the battery for a pretty high price.
    If this is a truly hardware issue, I could order the battery from eBay 2x-3x times cheaper and install by myself. ;)

So, let's talk about this issue as the software issue (and, if nothing helps, it is a hardware one)
    Do you know any other possible ways of solving it?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What model Mac? Some of the troubleshooting steps (such as resetting the SMC) differ based on the model.

jW

6. AppleMacFinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

MBP 15" early 2011
    I have already tried to reset the SMC, without any success. :(
    It seems you know other troubleshooting steps. Please, tell me some!

7. dervmonkey macrumors newbie

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. dervmonkey macrumors newbie

You've posted a link to the same page content as I did, interesting.

I appreciate what you are saying about the post claiming not require calibration, but the battery tech is no different between removable and non removable batteries, they both share individual cells and a controller board with an EEPROM on it, the fact that his battery state changed (dramatically) from OK to service tells me something might be up with the EEPROM contents, doing a calibration will reset the fully charged and fully discharged values in the EEPROM.

As I said, run a calibration and see what happens, it certainly won't do any damage as it's just charging and then discharging a battery as you'd get from normal use.

10. AppleMacFinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

I have tried the calibration (15 hours - 3x times longer than a minimum 5), unfortunately it doesn't help.
    Also, removed the battery and shake it several times - still no result. :(

I wonder if some other (maybe weird) thing exist - that could possibly work.
    Please, tell me any ideas that you have! :confused:

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Just curious, what was shaking the battery supposed to do?

12. iforbes macrumors 6502

Any ideas? Ok...contact apple support (i know there are no stores nearby) and explain your situation. 73 cycles is way to low for that %.

13. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

14. AppleMacFinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Shaking the inner part of cells could refresh them, I read it somewhere at the Internet.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! Don't believe everything you read, especially on the internet!

16. iforbes macrumors 6502

:d

17. AppleMacFinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

I tried it only because it could have possibly worked.
    If you know another thing, please tell me.

18. iforbes macrumors 6502

You keep asking for ideas, but keep ignoring them because you "strongly believe it is a software issue". You need to contact Apple directly for assistance and possibly a new battery.

19. pranzoonan macrumors newbie

I am actually experiencing the same problems mister!
    +++++++++++++++++
    This is my stats.

May 12 - 62%
    May 13 - 59%
    May 14 - 55%

I calibrated it 2 times 1 per day and have probably
    done a reset on SMC about 4 times.
    And my batteries says "Service Battery"

66 Loadcycles
    A year old macbook pro 15" Early 2011
    ++++++++++++++++++

20. SaintsDesigns macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

macbook pro 17" duo core 2009/2010 model

I updated to lion then mountain lion, straight after installing mountain lion I noticed the battery not charging above 98% and the service Battery message ...

Funny when googled there seems to be a lot of hardware coincidences out there if it isnt a software issue ...

21. SaintsDesigns macrumors newbie

I have just put a call into apple and had a conversation with them ...

They basically got me to use ctrl alt shift & power as everyone suggests on google for 5 seconds ...

he went on to say that there is no physical way to know this has done anything and said something about the LED's now work (they were working to begin with?)

he also said it is normal for it to reach a max of 98% charge and that is above the average for the age.

he said over time that will drop until it wont charge at all and at that point I could either replace the battery in the apple store or myself although he didnt recommend I did it myself ...

The average life according to them is 1000 cycles mine is at just over 600 ...

So from what he is saying it is software that determines the service indicator and max charge as he was saying it restricts the charge to preserve the life of the battery ...

Again this only started once I had updated to Mountain Lion ...

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Service Battery" reading is another matter, but it's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    The maximum charge level is different from the battery health, which will decline over time. The maximum charge level will not decline over time.

23. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have a Late 2008 MBP and ML has created all kinds of problems including a Service Battery Warning on a battery that had 175 cycles and 90% health. I did a clean install and the battery went back to 90% after falling to 60%. The battery life restored back to only 2.5-3 hours but at least it's an improvement. I'd suggest reinstalling 10.8.2 Combo update.

24. SaintsDesigns macrumors newbie

Thanks for that ...

I discharged the battery and re charged it, did the opt/ctrl/shft, power reset and now its showing 100% however it still says service Battery...

As a quick question ... ive only ever gotten around 2/3 hrs out of my battery but have I read people saying around 8 hrs is normal ? I may have mixed it up with another model ?

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None of that was necessary. If you had simply drained it below 90% before plugging in again, it would have charged to 100%.
    There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the Battery FAQ for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.