Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helix21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Hi, I am in college right now writing this on my late 2008 unibody macbook (essentially pro) with supposedly a 0% charge and a service battery warning. It had about 30% battery left before this happened.

Coconut battery and iStat say that the capacity has gone down to 70% which is shocking to say the least. I remember checking 3/4 weeks ago and it having a 98% battery capacity.

This is not a snow leopard issue of sorts from what I learnt from googling but I have had snow leopard since its release day and its been going great.

I have read apple will do some sort of diagnostic test on my mac. I am inside the 1 year warrantee so I should be getting a new battery right? I have always followed and been aware about battery capacity saving tips. It reads as 10 months and 51 charge cycles.

This is annoying but my magsafe adaptar indicator light went bung and just yesterday I got a new one replaced (for free)

Annoying cause I love not having to take my magsafe to college because of its great battery life.

Can someone please shed some light on this issue?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Take your MacBook and power brick into apple. Also check ur brick is the same speck as needed. But if your in warrenty let them fix the issue.

helix21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Take your MacBook and power brick into apple. Also check ur brick is the same speck as needed. But if your in warrenty let them fix the issue.

Thanks for the input.

Called apple after I went home and explained the situation. He first tried to correct it by taking the battery out and then holding the power button for 15s (which gets rid of any residual power or something like that) That fixed the problem and the battery was back from 2700mAh to 4217mAh!

However I persuaded him to give me a replacement battery saying I used this day in and day out and loved that I didnt need to carry the magsafe cable around college. He agreed and the battery should arrive by monday :D

Do you know if they send a new one or a refurbished one? (if you can refurbish batteries)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thanks for the input.

Called apple after I went home and explained the situation. He first tried to correct it by taking the battery out and then holding the power button for 15s (which gets rid of any residual power or something like that) That fixed the problem and the battery was back from 2700mAh to 4217mAh!

However I persuaded him to give me a replacement battery saying I used this day in and day out and loved that I didnt need to carry the magsafe cable around college. He agreed and the battery should arrive by monday :D

Do you know if they send a new one or a refurbished one? (if you can refurbish batteries)

If it's refurbished it will be just the housing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.