Service Battery message on Macbook..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duelingdragons, Mar 29, 2010.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

CoconutBattery is showing that I only have about half of my original battery max limit left.. but now I'm getting a message that says "Service Battery" when I check battery info from the icon on the top of the screen..

Anything at all I can do at this point, short of buying a new battery? ($129 from Apple Store.. ouch D: )

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid not. By the spec of your Blackbook your battery is about 4 years old. That's pretty old. Look on the bright side, your battery has only cost you $30 a year, other users would be happy to have one that's lasted as long.

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I agree! I can't really complain about the battery itself, its lasted forever.

My only problem is that I'm holding out to get one of the new MBP's (should they ever actually come out)

Knowing my luck, I'll shell out the $129 and then the next day the MBP's will be released.

I was planning on selling this one and putting the $ towards the new MBP but I'm afraid the battery issue will take a lot of resale value off the Blackbook.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I know some will go against it but seeing how the MacBook is fairly dated (yet still fully functional), it would't be a bad idea to consider a third-party battery on eBay. Some users on this forum had great experiences with them and for a low price, it's attractive going this route considering the age of the MacBook. This far into the life of your computer, it's understandable that you don't want to sink a lot of money into it.