Service Battery notificaiton?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DramaLLama, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

I'm guessing it's time for a new battery? I have noticed a real short battery life but wasn't really planning on replacing anytime soon... is this notification something more urgent or just notifying me that my battery is starting to go?

[​IMG]

I see in the help documents that it says kind of the same thing as the others.. but nothing specific:
    [​IMG]

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is just telling you it is about to go and you need a new one, but if you can live with short or no battery life until you save up for a battery it will be okay.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That message on my 2009 MBP helped prompt us to buy our first iPad, the iPad Air. :cool:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Service Battery may indicate a defective battery, but it's more likely that your battery health has dropped below 80%, which also triggers the indication. You can continue to use a battery that is below 80% health (maximum capacity), as long as it holds sufficient charge to meet your needs. Be aware that some batteries may swell as they approach the end of their lives, so keep an eye out for that, so it doesn't damage your Mac.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion and later. You can download it here.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.