Service battery? Really?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AHDuke99, Mar 26, 2011.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I just can't win with this machine. I bought it in June 09. In January, the hard drive dies. In march, the replacement dies. In October 10, the fan dies and needs replacing. Today, it says the battery needs serviced after 100 cycles and 80% health.

Could this be an error or are macs really this crappy quality nowadays? I remember when PowerBooks could last for years without any issues.

I'm installing 10.6.7 to see if that fixes anything.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset the SMC. If it says the same thing, your battery may, indeed, be dead. If you have AppleCare, have them check it out to see if it's defective. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I don't have AppleCare, so it looks like I'll have to pay this out of pocket once again. This isn't sitting well with me.

And where on earth is this 1000 cycles claim when it can't even last 100?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's only for newer models with built-in batteries. For removable batteries, it's 300 cycles.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Even without AppleCare, if the battery falls under 70 or 80% when it has exercised less than 300 cycles, you should still get it for free, no?

6. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have a built in battery....

7. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

For removables it's 80% health or better after 300 cycles . On my mid 2008 MBP my 1st battery got 36 cycles and died . My 2nd has managed 56 and is at 87%. , I calibrate monthly . But looks like it's something I'll have to budget for annually.

I'd never buy a laptop with a non-user replaceable battery. I want my laptops for more than the three years AppleCare covers, not everyone needs to buy new all the time , despite what Steve jobs would have you believe !

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My bad. I was thinking about MacBooks.

9. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

So what's the deal? Does apple replace these built in batteries if it's at 76% after 100 cycles? Or will I have to pay because I don't have AppleCare?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, because it's out of warranty and you don't have AppleCare, they don't have to replace it. But if you take it to an Apple Store and smile and ask nicely, they may make an exception for you, as they have done many times in the past.

11. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I'll do that next week then. I hope it doesn't take too long, as I can't be without this laptop for a week.

12. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Now its jumped to 81% afterci plugged the charger in after unplugging it. The warning is also gone...

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you reset the SMC? Also, make sure your battery is properly calibrated, so your health is reported accurately.

14. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Hm seems strange that it would jump up to 81% and no longer need service, have you tried a calibration? I'd still keep an eye on it and perhaps have them take a look at it.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

My MacBook Pro did the exact same thing with red text saying "needing service" about two months ago. (I also had a HD failure within the first year!) I think my battery stats are around the same although I have 285 cycles and in the upper 80's or close to 90% I think.

Anyway, I kept using it as it worked just fine plugged in or not, then after a couple of restarts and maybe five days it went away and has not show up since. I did NOT reset SMC yet.

I have had a couple of instances where I am using the computer and the screen goes dark (like it has been put to sleep but there is no reason it should be yet) and I tap the keyboard and it comes back after a few seconds.

So I do plan on taking it in later this month to have my local mac reseller check out the battery for me. Luckily I am still under apple Care.