"Service Battery" warning at only 98 cycle counts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prodo123, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I've had my Early 2011 15" for a little over a year. It's done a heck of a lot of heavy computing, and I made sure that the battery is healthy. But I just noticed that when I click on the battery sign on top, it says "Service Battery."

I went into System Information and checked the cycle count, since I was sure it wasn't over 1000. And sure enough it wasn't even over 100! It's at 98 right now.

The battery has never been fully discharged nor damaged. It stores 4920mAh at full charge at the moment. The battery specifications (77.5W/10.95V) would indicate that this battery should hold around 7000mAh if I did my math correctly.

Am I correct in my calculations, or is this an issue with the operating system? And if the capacity is correct, do you think Apple will cover it although the laptop's out of warranty since it's not even hit 100 cycles? I'm running the latest version at the moment.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's not a software issue, and they might cover it. I'd say it's worth booking an appointment at an Apple store and at least asking the question.

3. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yeah I defiantly want to hear how this one works out since batteries aren't usually covered.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are covered by warranty/AppleCare if they're defective. As your Mac is out of warranty, if they determine that the battery is defective, they may bend the rules and cover it, anyway. It doesn't hurt to ask. Before you go to the Apple store, try resetting the SMC, to see if the "Service Battery" message goes away.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It's not the service battery notification that bothers me the most, it's the 30% decrease in battery capacity at 98 cycles that bothers me.
    According to Apple, it should have hit the 80% mark at 1000 cycles.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. It's not a linear decline. It could be higher than it is now in a few days, weeks or months. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Battery FAQ.

7. k6578 macrumors member

Try restarting your computer maybe?

I once had the "Service Battery" too but after a restart it disappeared.

8. Macman45, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This sums it up. I have a 2011 13" MBA. The battery meter changes from 95 to 98 % on. Regular basis, but I ignore it, and base my readings on the amount of time I get running on battery power...after over a year, I still get 7 hours +. Whatever the meter tells you there is at least.a 3% margin of error. If resetting the SMC doesn't rid you of the message, try using the laptop until the battery shuts the computer off, then recharge. If its still there, as posted take it in and talk to Apple.

9. LeonHH macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hey i have the same problem... mbp 15 early 2011, 3 weeks ago everything was fine, 96 cycles and about 95% battery health, and now its dying daily... just noticed that i have Service Battery message and only 36% health... a week ago it was 49% health... i was at apple store they started to invent crappy excuses like i overcharged it or didnt charge correctly or some stupid stuff like that like im ****ing 13 year old retard... wtf... anyways they told me to bring the laptop for a checkup and they will check the amperage and all that and if its not my fault they will replace it... ill tell u next week how it went, have appointment on monday... but really what is going on here? had to change my iphone because it was freezing my ipad had dead pixels all oved had to bring it back, my imac had black stains all over the screen, now my mbp dying, really I'm like really unhappy with the quality of apple products. anyways ill update u next week... cheers

Attached Files:

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can't "overcharge" a newer Mac battery. They have built in circuitry that prevents issues like this. I leave my MBP plugged in most of the time but I let it fully discharge once a month, as per Apples recommendation.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

11. LeonHH macrumors newbie

cool

tnx for the info, thats great to know, now i have to explain that in german ;) bääh :D

but seriously now, the "geniuses" have to know that right?

12. LeonHH macrumors newbie

Bad news

well bad news for me just came back from apple store, they said yes your battery is dead, yes its wierd that it died after 97 cycles, but we will not replace it for free because i have no apple care, and there is no program at apple that says to change defect batteries... im really disappointed with apple... well...

can somebody recommend not original apple battery from amazon or equivalent or should i get original one? 130€ is kind of expensive... damn :mad:

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should only replace your battery through Apple. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Disappointed with Apple because they wouldn't replace your out of warranty battery? I would have been the other way. Expected them not to and been thrilled if they did.

I see this all the time. Dead batteries with a low cycle count because the laptop spends it's life on a desk hooked to a charger. Battery never drops, cycle count never increments, and a year or two later Viola!

Record for us is 12 on the cycle count. 2 year old battery. I like when they blow up like a balloon personally :)

15. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I can attest to this personally. I had an old Toshiba that was always plugged in and the battery ended up with almost not capacity unplugged after about 5 years.

Learning that lesson, I decided to run my 2010 MBP on battery most of the time and even letting it fully drain once a month. After 2.5 years, I still have 97% battery capacity according to Coconut Battery.