Service Battery warning

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Branskins, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

In SL I would get service battery and I would have to restart or use Onyx to clear the cache and then it would go away.

Booting into my Lion partition use to fix the problem, and now it is popping up again when I do something that might drain the battery quickly. Now it says service battery with an estimated time of 3.5 hours (which seems accurate to me).

Is this a bug? I have not noticed any battery problems at all. Does it need to be recalibrated?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Recalibrate. What is the charge capacity? This happened to me when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. It would come and go but ultimately, it was the battery that needed to be replaced.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I did not think the battery usage or warnings were tied to the cache. What does the power section of system profiler show?

Attached Files:

4. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 3329
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4046
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 365
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1183
    Voltage (mV): 11630

Coconut battery:
    Current Capacity: 4046 mAh
    Design Capacity: 5450
    74% capacity

Battery load cycles: 365
    Battery temp: 30.8 C
    Battery Power Usage: 13.9 watt

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Since it says Service Battery, I think you need the battery serviced.

6. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I am out of warranty :O! I have had no problems and this has popped up for like 4 months and has gone away on restart or using Onyx (whatever it does it clears it).

I think I should try calibrating it today to see if that fixes it. I mean I have only used 365 load cycles and you are suppose to get 1000 right?

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'm not sure. That is what my point was, a condition such as battery capacity or conditions are not kept in a cache. A cache is a temporary location and can be cleared without issues. I don't understand what Onyx is clearing when it does what it does. Either way the system is reporting a bad battery. The Apple store can tell you if you bring your system in if it needs a new battery.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It should but all batteries are different and you have to consider how you've used your battery. Right now I have the same warning. Some days it'll jump back to 89 percent and the warning will go away but will jump back down to 60 percent and even 29 percent. I think if you get the warning, the battery is defected. If you're out of warranty, you'll have to purchase a new one.