Service Battery warning?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iamsophie, Apr 18, 2013.

1. iamsophie macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    So today I decided that I would switch to using percentage as my battery indicator rather than how much time is left, and at the top there was something saying "Service Battery" with a warning sign to the right.
    I clicked on it, yet it said that the topic could not be found.
    My MB is a 2009 2.26GHZ C2D with 4GB ram (if that helps).
    I know that this obviously means that I need to take the battery into service, but can I leave it in this state or is it important that I have it repaired?
    I'll just leave a bit of info about the battery below :)
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 4081
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4106
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 653
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12527
    Hopefully you guys can help me out!
    Thank you :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

The "Service Battery" warning appears when there is a problem with your battery. It also appears when your battery health (Full charge capacity) drops below 75%. You may be able to continue using your battery, but it may have reduced capacity. It's advisable to have your battery replaced, as some batteries have been known to swell near the end of their useful life. Such swelling could damage your Mac.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think you do need to replace your Mac's battery. That "service battery warning" is kinda dodgy, often giving off false warnings. My MacBook Pro has had that warning come up several times, however it has always gone away after a battery calibration. So try calibrating your battery, to see if that makes it go away. If your battery is still lasting for a decent amount of time, it's healthy no matter what the OS says, anyway. I've topped 1400 cycles on my MBP's battery, and it currently has no replacement warnings... So at 600 I doubt yours will be in danger anytime soon ;)

Just keep using your MacBook like normal until the battery is holding too little charge - And then replace it :)

4. iamsophie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! To the other poster too :) My Macbook seems to have fine battery charge, I was watching DW for at least 2 hours the other day and it didn't run out... I'm still wondering how this comes up and why...

5. iamsophie thread starter macrumors newbie

So I downloaded iStat like you recommended and it said my battery health is 77% so now it makes sense. So it's really 2% off service battery warning it should be but that's okay :) Thank you very much.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Try calibrating your MacBook's battery, and the warning will probably go away: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. iMacC2D, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, but after I calibrated mine (it's a unibody) the Service Battery warning went away, so the OP could try it to see if his warning is a false alarm.

10. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Simply not true.

My battery is reporting it's in good condition at 79%. I'll report back when it hits 75%.

Attached Files:

• batt.png
      batt.png
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views: