Service Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macorpc, Aug 8, 2010.

1. macorpc macrumors newbie

Hello all,

About a month ago I took my Macbook off the charger which it said was completely charged. I used it for about 10 minutes and it died on me. I plugged it in to charge and it said it was completely dead. Charged it up, never had a problem again....until yesterday..

My Macbook dies 5 to 10 minutes after unhooking it from the charger. Never had anything like this happen before. A week ago the Macbook would last 2 or 3 hours on a charge. I have a service battery indicator on my Macbook. It says that the notebook is fully charged and the green light is on my Magsafe power adapter. I did a battery config which apple recommended. Charged it fully, let it die and sit for 5 hours, then charge it again. It told me it was fully charged in about 1 hour. No way....

Any ideas?

I have the Macbook Aluminum running snow leopard.

Thanks

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well it may be time for a new battery. At least it didn't bulge or leak like some do when they reach EOL.:)

You could try reseting the SMC though.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. macorpc thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what I was thinking as well. Just was kind of odd how it happened so suddenly. Thought it would have been more gradual ya know?

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yes, so try reseting the SMC and see if that helps at all.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It sounds like this is the end of the battery. Usually, they won't go out like this, but it sounds as if you used it off the charger a lot. This cuts a significant amount of life off of the battery. Go on Amazon and find a cheap replacement battery instead of paying Apple's steep rates.

6. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

I had a similar situation 1 day and took it to the Genius Bar the next. But mine, I had 50% life left, put it to sleep, went somewhere and tried to turn it on and nothing...thought battery was dead. I went to Starbucks across the street, plugged it in...showed 0% battery life...went to a car dealership later that day, turned it on, 20% or so. They ran a diagnostics check on the battery, it was fine...go figure. The guy at Apple told me to let the battery drain where it actually puts itself to sleep, then leave it off the charger for an hour or two to make sure all the cells are drained, then charge it up...should work...haven't had a problem since.

7. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

so for a new person what is a good way to avoid this from happening?

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

There's really no way to avoid it from happening. Every battery is going to die eventually, they can only make them last so long. But, in order to prolong the life of your battery, believe it or not, use it frequently. The battery will last much longer if you keep the electrons moving more often than not.