Service Experience in London

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DanD81, Oct 5, 2009.

1. DanD81 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I have got a MBP, now about 1.5 years old and still under AppleCare. Lately I have got issues with my DVD Drive and also the display has some "white spots" on it which are not on the surface so I guess the screen is also somewhat defective.

Anyway, I am living in London and wanted to ask if any of you guys have service experience with the London Apple Stores or any other Service Provider in London. Can you recommend any of these or should I definitely avoid a certain shop/provider? In general it would be great if I could bring in my MBP for a check, the guys tell me whats wrong, issue a repair statement and order the parts and then I can come back with my laptop when all the parts have arrived, hand it over and wait a couple of hours for the repair... would this be possible AT ALL?

Also, I heard people saying that I should call Apple Care FIRST and let them sort out everything and get a repair number etc from them...

So, what do you think? Any suggestions about Apple service in the London area?

Thanks a lot folks!
    Dan

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If you're still covered by AppleCare then contact Apple.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

In all likelihood you'll schedule an appointment with a "genius", they will look at it, do nothing, and send it away to be repaired leaving you with nothing for x days/weeks.

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

OP, just bring it to Apple if you're covered. edesignuk - you make it sound like that's not good enough! What else can they do? :eek:

5. DanD81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers
    So in general you would recommend to go the an Apple Store directly and NOT use any of the other providers in the London area?
    Also, I guess I cannot arrange at an Apple Store for just ordering the components and come in with my laptop when then have arrived?

Best, Dan

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right, so just call the AppleCare number and arrange to ship it directly to them (bypassing the store).

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You have AppleCare, you may as well deal with them directly.

Give them a call, see what your options are.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you do visit an Apple Store (for them to look at your Mac), remember to make a free Genius Bar appt *before* you visit the store:
    http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

9. DanD81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to quickly ask, maybe someone who lives in the UK can answer this: I thought there is no direct shipping to Apple in Europe/UK?

Also, did anyone every tried to ask the Apple Store people if they can order the defective parts and just call me when they arrived so that I can bring in my MBP?

Cheers, Dan

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know what you mean by "direct shipping" :confused:

Is it really so hard to just call Apple and find out where you stand from the horses mouth?