Service in wife's name, does she have to be there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by conshok26, Jun 25, 2008.

1. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

My current AT&T plan is under my wife's name for my iPhone. I plan on getting a 3G iPhone on launch day or will at least try to. Since I'm changing phones and if they have to do the in store activation and possibly make a change to the contract (3g data plan, SMS) does anyone know from similar experiences with AT&T if this would be an issue.

2. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm going to be in a similar situation as well. I'm on a family plan which is under my dad's name. But I have gone in several times where they've been able to access my account, since I know the last 4 digits of his SS#. I'm planning on going by myself since he'll be at work anyways, so hopefully I'll be able to add the iPhone and the data plan since it'll only be on my line.

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

My wife just got her parents some phones. She had to call me, I had to call att to authorize her to make changes. It was a cluster. The service rep had to post a memo in account notes, so that the next rep would see it.

I think they just changed the "last four" key on june 1st. It didn't work for my wife.

4. rtmadden macrumors regular

You might end up getting snagged if the CSR won't allow you to sign for the contract extension. Your father might have to be physically present to authorize the new contract.

5. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26

I think the main issue is if you have to do the in store activation which apparently won't be known until around 7/6. If I can do it at home like the original I'll be all set. Otherwise things might be difficult if they do an AM release and she doesn't get home until around 4.

6. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

That would suck.

Do you think I could go into my AT&T store with him early and get it setup like the OP said with his wife (getting a memo put on to allow for her to make changes)?

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Go online (att.com/wireless) and add the person that is going into the Retail store as an authorized Retail Account Rep.

I did this on my brother's line so he can take care of retail transactions without me being present.

8. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot! I got it all setup and so I should be good to go!

9. conshok26 thread starter macrumors 6502

conshok26