Service Pack product keys

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
80
0
If I have the product key for a Windows XP Home install disk with Service Pack 1a, would it work with an install disk with Service Pack 2?

If not, is it possible to install a SP2 disk and then download the upgrade before registering the product key?

(Obviously. I've got an older install disk, and am trying to figure out how to make use of its product key. Please don't recommend slipstreaming my disk, because I can't even boot Windows yet.)
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,858
0
DeadSirius said:
If I have the product key for a Windows XP Home install disk with Service Pack 1a, would it work with an install disk with Service Pack 2?

If not, is it possible to install a SP2 disk and then download the upgrade before registering the product key?

(Obviously. I've got an older install disk, and am trying to figure out how to make use of its product key. Please don't recommend slipstreaming my disk, because I can't even boot Windows yet.)
where did you get your sp2 disk?

there is no upgrade involved after sp2, short of small updates.
and your "sp2" disk, is it home, pro, upgrade, original, pirated?
 

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
801
83
Leeds, UK
DeadSirius said:
If I have the product key for a Windows XP Home install disk with Service Pack 1a, would it work with an install disk with Service Pack 2?
Probably is the answer. It depends on the type of disk you have. Are they both retail disks (rather than OEM) if so I'd suggest it would work. If one is an OEM supplied disk and the other is from an different OEM then there's a fair change it won't work.

Just give it a go, if it doesn't work you can always trash the install and try again with a different disc.
 

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
80
0
bearbo said:
where did you get your sp2 disk?
I'm asking around if I could borrow one, just so I can get *something* bootable onto my Mac. I don't actually have it yet; I just want to know if I'm wasting my time even trying.

The 1a disk I have is OEM, but the product key is legit. It seems easier to make that work, before I decide to scrap it and fork over more money for an SP2 disk.
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,858
0
DeadSirius said:
I'm asking around if I could borrow one, just so I can get *something* bootable onto my Mac. I don't actually have it yet; I just want to know if I'm wasting my time even trying.

The 1a disk I have is OEM, but the product key is legit. It seems easier to make that work, before I decide to scrap it and fork over more money for an SP2 disk.
beware the way you word it... you can't technically legally borrow one (and illegal act like this gets the thread close sometimes)
OEM sometimes can't be used on machines that it didn't come with, and the key most likely won't work on a retail version, it MIGHT work on the OEM version of sp2 disks that was given by the same vendor for the same series of machine... again, if you have OEM product key, it's dangerous (aside from its illegal)
 

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
2,766
26
On the moon.
Yeah, it should work.

If its a retail disc, make sure you get a retail copy of the disc with SP2, or if its OEM, get an OEM copy.

Still hold onto your orginial as well as the SP2 disc, then your fine and not really breaking any laws actually, because all the disc is is a version of XP with the SP2 slipstreamed inside of it, as long as you have the orginal product key, its all legal.
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,360
963
New England
DeadSirius said:
Please don't recommend slipstreaming my disk, because I can't even boot Windows yet.
Sure you can. Download the demo of Parallels. Install XP Sp1a to it. Download nlite or do your slipstreaming manually. Create the ISO and burn it under OS X.

Then, be on your merry way to Boot Camp.

FWIW I've also gotten most of the way though slipstreaming on OS X with only darwine and a sinlge DLL from Windows. I was foiled only by the fact that my only SP1a disc was from Dell and isn't easily slipstreamed.

B
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,858
0
ReanimationLP said:
Yeah, it should work.

If its a retail disc, make sure you get a retail copy of the disc with SP2, or if its OEM, get an OEM copy.

Still hold onto your orginial as well as the SP2 disc, then your fine and not really breaking any laws actually, because all the disc is is a version of XP with the SP2 slipstreamed inside of it, as long as you have the orginal product key, its all legal.
OEM's licence allow you to reinstall the copy of windows onto the machine that it came with, legally, if you are to install it on another computer, you'd need another licence. it's simple as that.
 

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
80
0
balamw said:
Sure you can. Download the demo of Parallels. Install XP Sp1a to it. Download nlite or do your slipstreaming manually. Create the ISO and burn it under OS X.
You've done this? My machine won't let me install SP1a natively. You're saying that Parallels will accept an SP1a install?
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,360
963
New England
DeadSirius said:
You've done this? My machine won't let me install SP1a natively. You're saying that Parallels will accept an SP1a install?
Yes. Success has been reported many times here, though I have not done it myself. Parallels will also allow you to run Windows 98 as well as many other OSes that are not supported by Boot Camp. (I'm running Win2KSP4 in my Parallels).

B
 

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
306
0
DeadSirius said:
You've done this? My machine won't let me install SP1a natively. You're saying that Parallels will accept an SP1a install?
confirmed. I am running it. You still need a unique cd key thou. Cause ms disables your copy if you don't register within 30 days.
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,360
963
New England
breakfastcrew said:
confirmed. I am running it. You still need a unique cd key thou. Cause ms disables your copy if you don't register within 30 days.
:confused:

Do you mean that the key is disabled after 30 days or the unactivated install is disabled.

As I have always understood it you can run it for 30 days without activation, after which the unactivated install is disabled, but that doesn't disable your product key. Does it?

FWIW there have been reports of folks running the same copy of XP in Parallels and Boot Camp, they have just called MS and explained the situation and been given an activation code...

B
 

demenas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
48
1
Los Angeles, CA, USA
DeadSirius said:
I'm asking around if I could borrow one, just so I can get *something* bootable onto my Mac. I don't actually have it yet; I just want to know if I'm wasting my time even trying.

The 1a disk I have is OEM, but the product key is legit. It seems easier to make that work, before I decide to scrap it and fork over more money for an SP2 disk.
You could slipstream SP2 onto your OEM CD also.

Steve
 

demenas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
48
1
Los Angeles, CA, USA
balamw said:
Yes. Success has been reported many times here, though I have not done it myself. Parallels will also allow you to run Windows 98 as well as many other OSes that are not supported by Boot Camp. (I'm running Win2KSP4 in my Parallels).

B
Boot Camp runs Windows Server 2003 SP 1 fine also.

Steve