Service repair story.

bbowser12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Long story short. Brought in my 2017 i7 2.9 MBP for keyboard service and swollen battery issue to local apple store on sept. 6. Been in the dark since that date. Store saying they overnighted it right away for repair, and Apple Support saying they show it hasn't been shipped yet. Find out yesterday that FedEx destroyed it in transit. Smashed, water damage, label couldn't be read, etc.

Machine was returned to sender (Apple Store) yesterday, and I was shown all this via pictures and tracking info on a Tech's iPad in person. They said it will be replaced by a brand new model of equal or greater value. Since the 2017 model is discontinued, as so is the 2018 from what I've read, will they be replacing it with the latest 2019 model? If so, will it be the base higher end like I had? Or the base standard, since it's technically more powerful? couldn't find an answer here or online.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

CE3

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Since the 2017 model is disconintiued, as so is the 2018 from what I've read, will they be replacing it with the latest 2019 model? If so, will it be the base higher end like I had? Or the base standard, since it's technically more powerful? couldn't find an answer here or online.

Thank you for your time!
These are questions only Apple can answer. If they told you the MacBook will be replaced with a brand new unit it probably won't be a 2017 model. I'm sure they'll make it right. Apple knows FedEx is at fault here and this is an inconvenience to you both. Let us know how it all works out.

bbowser12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
These are questions only Apple can answer. If they told you the MacBook will be replaced with a brand new unit it probably won't be a 2017 model. I'm sure they'll make it right. Apple knows FedEx is at fault here and this is an inconvenience to you both. Let us know how it all works out.
Thank you, will do. Unique situation where the phrase "equal or greater" can be interpreted many different ways.

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Where I'm from, Apple would not be allowed by consumer laws to replace a destroyed i7 with a i5 (unless I agreed for some reason of course). Eg. if the destroyed machine was a i5 that I bought upgraded to i7 and the new model only offered a i9 instead of i7 upgrade, they would have to offer me that anyway.

Do report back on what they offer you. It's interesting. :)

Reactions: bbowser12

konqerror

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2013
Was yours a standard configuration? Each configuration is in a tier and standard configuration replacements will be on the same tier. For example, cheapest configuration is replaced by cheapest, most expensive by most expensive.

Fun fact, Apple doesn't just ship the computer by FedEx, but FedEx does the actual repairs at the same plant as Lenovo and several others.

Apple would not be allowed by consumer laws to replace a destroyed i7 with a i5
The problem is those model names are solely determined by Intel's marketing, not by actual performance or utility. For example, the latest desktop CPUs dropped Hyperthreading at the i7 level.

bbowser12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Was yours a standard configuration? Each configuration is in a tier and standard configuration replacements will be on the same tier. For example, cheapest configuration is replaced by cheapest, most expensive by most expensive.

Fun fact, Apple doesn't just ship the computer by FedEx, but FedEx does the actual repairs at the same plant as Lenovo and several others.

The problem is those model names are solely determined by Intel's marketing, not by actual performance or utility. For example, the latest desktop CPUs dropped Hyperthreading at the i7 level.
Yeah that's the strange part. Does it mean equal or better performance and specs... or equal or greater retail price? I have the $2799 model from 2017. But the $2399 models from both 2018 and 2019 out spec my machine across the board.

konqerror

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2013
Yeah that's the strange part. Does it mean equal or better performance and specs... or equal or greater retail price? I have the $2799 model from 2017. But the $2399 models from both 2018 and 2019 out spec my machine across the board.
I don't see what's the confusion? If you bought the lowest end model, you get the lowest end model. If you bought the middle model, you get a new middle model. They designate these configurations with S, M, L, XL.

I believe if you customized anything, they start at the model you started with and upgrade any RAM or storage to meet, if necessary.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
My experience is that Apple will take care of you... I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about what they will do for you. Wait and see.

Reactions: twanj

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Since Apple is going to replace the old, damaged one with a brand-new one...

Why are you complaining?

Take it with a BIG SMILE and walk away a happy guy!

bbowser12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Did I complain? Just asked a question. But you can bet I was complaining when they didn't tell me what was going on for 13 days. There are 8 pros made after mine that are more powerful on paper. And of course, next month, with hindsight, this is a gift that buys me 1-2 more years before the next upgrade.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
You did not sound like you were complaining much to me. Perhaps a tiny bit, but it seems you had a right to complain. If you have the time, let us know how this turns out. Okay?

Did I complain? Just asked a question. But you can bet I was complaining when they didn't tell me what was going on for 13 days. There are 8 pros made after mine that are more powerful on paper. And of course, next month, with hindsight, this is a gift that buys me 1-2 more years before the next upgrade.

bbowser12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Update. Wow! They replaced it with the 2019 2.3 i9 version, brand new in box. Exactly as konqerror said they would. Looks like "equal or greater" refers to the pricing levels, and not the specs. Thank you all again.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Well I'm sure that your 2017 2.9 model also came with 512GB of storage. In that the base model would only include 256GB of storage, which would be a downgrade compared to your previous model.

Since you had the upper tier model, giving you the current 2019 upper tier model was most likely the highest probability.

It's probably only when it comes to customized models that there might be leeway in what model/specs you might get as a replacement.

Anyway, congrats on the new machine!

Muyfa666

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2019
Sweden
Update. Wow! They replaced it with the 2019 2.3 i9 version, brand new in box. Exactly as konqerror said they would. Looks like "equal or greater" refers to the pricing levels, and not the specs. Thank you all again.
Very nice! Enjoy it! :)