Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Okay I'm really pissed off as ***** right now.

Basically my MBA has been blacking out randomly ever since I got it in Nov 2013. About 5 months later it started to shut down randomly.

1st repair: Motherboard was replaced, issue persisted.
2nd repair: No issue found according to QCD (Apple authorized repair centre), issue persisted.
3rd repair: QCD said my VMWare was causing the problem, however I reformatted the drive and the issue still persisted.
4th repair: QCD did a clean reinstall and replaced the motherboard again. Computer no longer shuts down randomly but now it's doing the blacking out thing again.

I'm planning to either bring it back to the store tomorrow or call Apple up and demand that they replace the laptop. Which one should I be doing first? Also, what are the chances that I'll succeed in getting them to replace it for me?

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008

Basically my MBA has been blacking out randomly ever since I got it in Nov 2013. About 5 months later it started to shut down randomly.

2nd repair: No issue found according to QCD (Apple authorized repair centre), issue persisted.
3rd repair: QCD said my VMWare was causing the problem, however I reformatted the drive and the issue still persisted.
4th repair: QCD did a clean reinstall and replaced the motherboard again. Computer no longer shuts down randomly but now it's doing the blacking out thing again.

I'm planning to either bring it back to the store tomorrow or call Apple up and demand that they replace the laptop. Which one should I be doing first? Also, what are the chances that I'll succeed in getting them to replace it for me?

I had a similar thing happen with my MBP a few yrs ago (though they were different symptoms), with multiple back and forth shipments and Apple Store visits and the problem still being unresolved.

After all this had happened, I called Apple and asked to speak to someone in customer relations. Since you've already sent it back and forth many times, they should connect you to someone right away. From my experience, their customer relations department is incredibly well staffed and can take relatively quick action to help you out.

In my case, they replaced the MBP (which was 3 yrs old at the time) with a brand new currently shipping model. Not saying it would turn out this way for you, but definitely contact customer relations to see what they can do for you.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
After the second repair I would have stopped going to the Apple authorized repair center you were using, but that's just me.

Anyway, contact AppleCare and explain the situation. Make sure to remain calm and polite. They'll be able to look at the repair history and evaluate the situation. If they decide that there is a legitimate issue, ask them what the options are. They will most likely offer to replace the laptop along with a few other options.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011

Your first mistake was to take it to an authorized Apple repair center. Dont mess with the Apple Store dont mess with any other place and ONLY send it in to Apple.

Once you have multiple issues mailing it to Apple they will start processing the computer when you send it as "white glove" and give it high priority and more rigorous testing.

Apple's policy for replacing computers is 4 major hardware replacements. If you get your motherboard replaced 4 times that doesnt constitute 4 major hardware replacements since it is the same part.

If you are polite with Apple and talk to a Customer Service Senior Advisor you will get more done especially since your computer is less than a year old.

I went thru the same exact process as you and I wasted TONS of times mailing it back and forth and even took it to the Apple store twice. They were not able to reproduce the issue and after talking to 5 different senior advisors i finally found one that was willing to fight for my issue and I got my 2011 Macbook Air 4GB / i5 replaced with a brand new 8GB / i7 / Macbook Air 13 at no charge and was even offered the option of purchasing a warranty.

If you havent extended your Apple Care warranty i strongly urge you to do so at the Educational rate of $183 before it expires. If you have than you are all set. Remember the key thing to keep in mind is: be polite, send the computer directly to Apple, reformat the computer before you send it out and when you get it back (if the issue persists thru multiple reformats and you alert them to your efforts this goes a long way in leading to a replacement model)

The most important thing to remember is to keep hope but not be overly optimistic. Are there stories of people getting their Macbooks replaced for free? Yes. Is it highly unusual? YES.

There are people with screen peeling issues, image retention and other problems with the Macbook Pro Retinas that have received 4-5 screen replacements and STILL have yet to receive a new Macbook from Apple.

If you took care of your laptop well (no exterior damage / water damage) and you are able to reproduce the issue you are having multiple times then you should be good to get the major components replaced in your computer. Even if you dont get a new computer to get a new battery, screen, and other parts on a one year old laptop is not a bad trade off either.

Good luck

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
wow that's a extreme case. I suspect your battery (or battery connector) might be faulty as there is nothing else really besides MB and software what could cause such problems. Have it happened with connected charger?

Anyway, you should definitely try to get it replaced with a new laptop.

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
After my third trip to the Genius Bar for a WiFi issue on my 2013 MBA, they gave me the choice to simply exchange it or continue to open it up and try to fix it. I, of course, went for the exchange and got a nice little upgrade in the process by default. While I was waiting for the exchange, they exchanged another MBA 2013 right next to me. Apple is good about owning up to a crappy build and does not like to see their customers frustrated and unhappy . I think if you went in and explained that you cannot continue working with a default machine. If it is still under the warranty with or without AppleCare, you will probably be accommodated provided you go in with a nice "I'm really trying to be patient" attitude.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would call Apple and explain the situation in a calm but firm manner. Not be yelling or insulting because, you'll get no where if you go down that path.

I think given your repair history Apple should and may very well offer a replacement.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Speak nice to a manager, this can be a "lemon law" item assuming the 4 times you went in for the same complaint.

Jaiman05

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
I'm having the same issues , third logic board repaired they told me they will never replace my MacBook Pro . Would be nice to get the same rep that help you , if you can tell me pls thx .

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I'm having the same issues , third logic board repaired they told me they will never replace my MacBook Pro . Would be nice to get the same rep that help you , if you can tell me pls thx .

Call Apple Care and request a Senior Advisor that is different than the one you are working with my guy says he doesnt take referals. My friend had a similar issue to u and he was reluctant to take him on

It is a random process. I tried numerous reps before i got one that worked for me

Someone who tells u they wont replace it is lying. Three repairs is getting in the zone of something serious wrong with your product but if you are acting like you are looking to getting it replaced it wont happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.