Servicing Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newbie2008, Apr 5, 2008.

1. newbie2008 macrumors member

i had to take my macbook in for servicing since i am having hard drive issues.
    so i checked the slip for "repair estimate" and it listed..."Hard Drive, 250 GB..."
    My HD that i got w/ my MB is only 160 GB....so are they upgrading my HD? or did they make a mistake.
    and they needed my master password...i understand the log in password...but master password?

yea i'm such a noob...lol

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... Did you buy the computer new? There's an option to set a master password on Macs but it's not enabled by default.

3. newbie2008 thread starter macrumors member

yea i bought it new...
    and from what i remember he did need my master password...b/c i had filevault on...
    so eh...
    i have a feeling that none of my stuff will get transferred to the new HD anyway as the HD was locked...that's what i get for being curious...:rolleyes: lol i wouldn't be w.out my laptop if i wasn't silly enough to lock myself out of my own HD therefore keeping me from logging in...
    being on this PC is not fun at the moment...only 3 days until i get my MB back...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Damn. Try to avoid enabling FileVault on the new drive since it's still a bit buggy and has resulted in some pretty serious data loss and corruption. :eek:

5. newbie2008 thread starter macrumors member

i checked my repair status...it was repaired in the store...

So does that mean that it's ready for me to pick up in the store...or do i have to actually wait for it to say "Ready for pick up".
    The guy at the apple store called me...but I wasn't really listening...he kept talking about the install discs...so I never really heard if he said if it was ready for pick up or not...
    I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and see what the status repair says then..

EDIT::
    nevermind i got my macbook back...now i'm having other issues...see other thread about my new HD...