Set a Password on Mac Email Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jusacruiser, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I have not been able to figure out how to set a password on the Apple email application.

When I called AppleCare, they said you can't set a password.

Does anyone know anything about being able to set a Password for access to their Mac email?
    :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can set a password for an email account, but you can't set a password for launching the Mail.app.

3. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

You can set your computer to lock whenever you're idle for more than a few minutes... then you'd need to enter a password to unlock it.

And if you don't enter a password for your email account into the Mail application, you'll be forced to enter that password every time you want to send or receive an email.

And you can also set up FileVault to encrypt all of your home folders (including your email database).

But as far as I know there's no way to set a password on a specific application.

4. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Interesting. Now to log into my MBP you need to enter a password. But if I am away from my MBP for a few minutes anyone can just walk up to my computer and look through my mail?

Or sometimes a friend or someone work will want to borrow my computer for a little while, and I am supposed say....By the way, please don't look at my mail?

I am hoping in the new version of Lion they will address this issue.

Thanks for the comment.

5. dholaday macrumors member

As NorCalLights said, you can easily require a password to access your account after the computer sleeps or the screen saver starts - If you are in an environment where others have easy access to your computer, you should do that anyway.

Unless you don't care what someone does with your computer, you shouldn't let them use your account under any circumstances. Create a guest account for them to use - and make them log into that if you loan them your mac. That way they won't have access to any of your data, and you can control what applications they can use.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To follow-up, a guest account does not allow the user to save data or to make unapproved changes to the system. However, it does allow access to the web and such like.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is simple to solve. Just set a screen saver and require a password to wake from sleep or screen saver. Then you can either close the lid or set up a hot corner to activate the screen saver with a swipe of the mouse or trackpad when you step away.

8. dholaday macrumors member

You can limit the applications [including internet access] available to the guest account by using parental controls. I have two "guest accounts" with separate passwords: One that severely limits what the guest can do [e.g., no internet access] and one for "trusted" folk that allows less limited access.

I've found the best way to control what happens to my computer is to "Just Say No" whenever anyone asks to use it. :)

9. ryanide macrumors 6502

Yes, there's an App for that: Espionage

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

This program can password protect entire applications or folders, including Mail. It is well worth the money and works great. Check it out.

Ryan

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't password protect applications. It password protects application data.

11. gks macrumors 6502

12. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I know I can always say "no", but I always feel like a scrouge, debbie downer, and all sorts of bad stuff. :(

13. simsaladimbamba

Then create a separate guest account for your friends to use. It is easy and fast user switching is fast.