Set all folders to same default view

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Failurbydesign, May 10, 2014.

1. Failurbydesign macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

2. SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Double tap on any finder window>Show View Options>Set As Defaults

Hope this helps!

3. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

It does For that folder, but nothing else.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Worked for me on 10.9.3......did some tweaking on one folder's settings, it was transferred to all the other folders I've opened so far.

5. SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

It should work for all the other folders as well.

6. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

You are lucky! I'm not sure why this is. The only thing i can think of is i used CCC to backup my old 21 inch iMac and restored it to my new 27 inch iMac. But i reset the PRAM and removed all DS_Store files. When i set the finder folder to the default view, nothing happens to the rest.

Thoughts?

7. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

So still no luck at all. Even made a new user and removed all the ds files with DSwipe on my backup drive. This is driving me nuts...any other ideas

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

QED. Use Automator - it's the only way that I know of. It's a two-item Workflow.

Open Automator. Create a workflow. You'll only use the Actions>Files & Folders Actions - navigate there. Double-click "Get Specified Finder Items", then the "Add" button. In the dialog window navigate to the upper-level folder you want to target (like "Documents" or "Library" or your hard drive - you can also add multiple target folders by repeating the "Add" function).

Close all of your Finder windows. Find the folder that has settings that you prefer. Open that folder, and open the View Settings panel. Click on the "Use as Defaults" button - do not close that folder or the View Settings panel as you'll want to reference those View Settings in the Action below.

Then double-click the "Set Folder Views" Action. Configure the folder settings in this Action to your liking by setting the View type (pull-down menu) and other settings below the pull-down menu. Now - check the "Apply Changes to Sub-folders" option checkbox.

Save your Workflow, and choose the Run command (Command-R). You can reuse and/or edit this Workflow as you see fit or as your tastes change.

One more step - buy me a beer. :D

9. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

This is one of the few things about OS X that still really annoys me. As posted above the only real way to do this is via Automator

10. romesk90 macrumors member

would automator and setting default view fix my issue of sometimes finder opens my old location I had in finder will all the folders opened that were opened before? I want this to not happen. If i open a new finder, or close the old one, or restart my laptop, I want it to be fresh. I dont want to have to close all the sub directories.

11. campyguy macrumors 68030

romesk90, Automator's options do not allow for Finder window positions, and I'm not sure any application exists to accomplish what you're looking for.

FWIW, I changed my Finder View Options to open with one specific folder in mind - my Home directory - and I use the 3rd-party app named Spectacle to position/resize/move my folders.