Set default finder window dimensions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Egosphere, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Egosphere macrumors member

I keep having to change the width and height of my finder windows to be like I like them. How can I set the default size to whatever I wish?

Thanks for the help.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Bump, I would like to know this too... :p

Any geeks out there know ? Even an obscure terminal command would work for me.

On every mac I've been on the Finder is set to a default "wide" view, much like many screen these days. When viewing a Finder window like that in Icon view, an unusually large space is left on the right hand side as it's too wide for 3 folders but not wide enough for 4. There must be a default size "set" somewhere, surely that can be changed ?

I realise I can edit the com.apple.finder.plist file found in my user library>preferences folder, but does anyone know what to add to make all future windows open to a default size. Right now it's full of random settings on every folder I've ever fiddled with, if I trashed it and restarted, it'd go back to a default setting, I'd love to edit that default setting to never worry about again.

Wow this is complicated.

3. mbalson macrumors member

mbalson

Same here.
    Launching a new finder window always results in a layout that has scroll bars on three sides and the coverflow is too bug. Manually sizing every folder is getting tedious. There should be some way of setting the default.

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

1. Close all Finder windows.
    2. Click Finder in the dock.
    3. Set the window how you like (size, settings, etc.)
    4. Close Window.

I'm pretty sure this works.

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

That did seem to work. Thanks

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Yea, finder will reopen to the same size as the last window that was closed (at least that is my observance.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

This doesn't help if you open a folder from a Stack--You have to manually set the size to every folder on your system unless you navigate to it through the resized Finder window...

8. dylanweber macrumors newbie

I know how...

1. Just close all Finder Windows
    2. Open 1 Finder Window at the starting location
    3. Change the size of the window
    4. Close the window
    5. Your done
    :apple: