Set expiry date for TM backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by haigie, Nov 26, 2012.

1. haigie macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm in the process of clearing out my MBP 13" and TC as I'll be upgrading to a MBPR in the coming week. The TC has 2 and a half years worth of backups. I'm aware that as the backup drive starts to fill, Time Machine will auto-delete the oldest back up.

Being a bit OCD about 'wasted' storage space, I feel that 1-2 months worth of backups at present would be more than suitable, but for the life of me cannot find a way of having the TM backups deleting when they become a certain age? Is this something I'll just have to resign myself to or is there a way around this?

I don't really feel like deleting each one by one...

THanks for any advice!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Storage is "near free". I suggest that you find more important things to worry about. Dedicate a device to your backup... and then forget about it.

/Jim

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't. TM is a great simple back up solution that has few features and options.

It will use up the volume's space until it is filled up and then it will start deleting the oldest backups.

You basically can turn it on, off, and exclude folders, that's the extent of user configuration.

4. haigie thread starter macrumors newbie

There is still plenty of space on the TC, can I assume that when I back up media when it is full, TM won't give me any issues as I move data on the TC?

Cheers again