Set on Iphone for 7/11. Debating 8gb vs. 16gb.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SChaput, Jul 2, 2008.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

I have already decided to buy out my Verizon contract in a few days and switching over to AT&T to purchase the new iphone 3g.

At first i assumed 8gb would be fine because of the 199 price tag and the fact i do not want to replace my entire ipod with this phone as no capacity available would do so as of yet. However, i do plan on putting some music and video onto the phone. Also, After viewing guided tours on the AppStore i started debating weather or not i would throw out another 100$ for 100% more memory. As of now i am leaning more towards 16gb as i would rather have TOO MUCH space, then not enough.

I am interested to hear others thoughts on the best size for the scenario.
    Thanks alot.

2. davidlw macrumors 6502a

If you can possibly afford the 16gig phone, go for it. You may use it over time.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's my theory. I would rather be safe than sorry.

4. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

Well, also consider how long you plan to keep it and whether your needs will increase over time. Also, do you plan on downloading a lot apps or games? If so, you'll need space for it. Personally, I'm planning on getting the 16GB one to ensure I have enough space. I know I'd regret it if I kept running out of space a year later and I didn't buy the 16GB.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Ya, go for the 16gb. Then you even can get the white one! And like djransom said, better safe than sorry.

6. Ozz.Man macrumors member

I am getting the 16 gig straight up. I have the 8 gig now, and it is filled up to the brim! It's only $100 more, but something you can't undo later if you regret it without losing.

7. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the quick responses.
    Seems to make my decision pretty easy, haha.

8. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I was planning on the 8GB since I only use about 2.5GB of my 4GB Nano. When I read that the maximum allowable size for applications in the App Store is 2 GB I had to reconsider. Granted, most will be smaller than that but say I end up wanting 3 or 4 apps that are ~ 1GB each. Add in my music and a couple of movie rentals and I'm close to capacity on the 8GB model.

Better safe than sorry; I'm going with the 16GB.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

16GB is the way to go. Better to err on the side of caution.

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

my original iphone was a 4gig. Only because the store was out of 8gigs on launch day

If the store is out of 16gigers on launch day i wil get an 8 gig and if they have 16's i will be getting a 16 definatly.

11. nanoakron macrumors newbie

Or you could wait a week or two until the store restocks and get the product you actually /want/ to buy, rather than impulse buying an expensive item with an 18 month contract due to lack of self control.

12. Moose408 macrumors newbie

I bought an 8gb iPod Touch 6 months ago thinking that while it wouldn't hold all my music I could get all of my favorites on it. But what I didn't think about was video. Video podcasts, TV, Movies, eat up a lot of space and am constantly battling memory issues. I'm definitely going with the 16gb version.

13. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I bought a 16gb ipod Touch and it actually holds a decent amount of stuff. I keep enough music, podcasts and video to hold me over for a solid week. Other posters are right in saying its really the video that pushes you over the edge. 16gb of music is quite a bit. It may not be your entire library, but if you keep your favs with you you will be happy.

14. dap1215 macrumors regular

Self control? Please define? What's Self Control? :confused:

:cool:

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Definately go with 16GB. Especially with all of the Apps. that will be available soon. I will need the space to store all of my TV shows and movies.

16. dstrauss macrumors regular

17. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

it had nothing to do with self control and impulse buys. I was on the fence about the 8gig before launch day. At that point i had a 30gb video ipod so there wasnt need for that much room anyway. I couldnt justify the 100 extra dollars and didnt think i'd need it. The 8gig would have been an impulse buy if i had gotten it