Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ytrox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
HI all, I'm searching a way to set as root the executable/domain socket permission bat I can't find nothing. anybody knows how to do this?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You should be able to do this via BSD Unix commands in the Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app).

The command is chmod. This will get you the sticky bit:

Code:
chmod 4655 <file>

This sets the setuid bit, but does not grant execute permissions to the owner (i.e. the capital S). If you want the owner to have execute perms as well, then issue:

Code:
chmod 4755 <file>

Then you'll see a lowercase s, which means it is setuid and the owner has execute perms.

Last edited:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
HI all, I'm searching a way to set as root the executable/domain socket permission bat I can't find nothing. anybody knows how to do this?

Open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter the following, but don't press return. Be sure to leave a space or two after the x.

Code:
sudo chmod u=rws,go=rx

Now drag the file you want into the Terminal window and drop it there. The file is not actually being moved, but the file's path will be appended to the command you typed. Now click on the Terminal window to make it active and press return. Enter you password when requested to.

ytrox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Ok, thank you for your answers. sudo chmod 4755 works fine. In the post I have wrote a wrong capital "S". I need executable permission so I had to write "s"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.