Set thunderbolt ethernet priority.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gentlefury, Aug 1, 2012.

1. gentlefury, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

gentlefury macrumors 68030

OK, so I have a bit of an issue. I bought a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter, and it works great! Problem is tho, when I go into network prefs it doesn't show up as a device. Its working fine, but its not listed. And when I manually add it, it shows up with no IP address.

None of this really matters, the problem tho is that I can't set it to have priority over wifi...so I have to actually disable wifi to use wired. Which is annoying. Does anyone know a workaround here? Or is this just early adoption woes that should be ironed out in a revision or two?

Of course in windows, it defaults to the ethernet....wtf...why is windows running better on this thing than Mac???

2. katmeef macrumors 6502

I had a bit of an issue with my TB>GbE being recognized as a Bluetooth connection in network prefs, mentioned here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15284226#post15284226 in a thread regarding a problem I'm having with the TB>GbE, specifically when using time machine to a USB drive hanging off my iMac. Eventually got the TB>GbE adapter back by trashing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist and rebooting before reconnecting the adapter

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

whats wrong with having wifi off? makes sense to save battery.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It would be good to leave wi-fi on so Find My Mac works if someone steals your Macbook.

5. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

yes, find my mac is a big reason.

----------

That did it! Perfect! Thanks! I was wondering why it was saying Bluetooth was connected. Makes sense now!

6. katmeef macrumors 6502

You're welcome :)