Set thunderbolt ethernet priority.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
OK, so I have a bit of an issue. I bought a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter, and it works great! Problem is tho, when I go into network prefs it doesn't show up as a device. Its working fine, but its not listed. And when I manually add it, it shows up with no IP address.

None of this really matters, the problem tho is that I can't set it to have priority over wifi...so I have to actually disable wifi to use wired. Which is annoying. Does anyone know a workaround here? Or is this just early adoption woes that should be ironed out in a revision or two?

Of course in windows, it defaults to the ethernet....wtf...why is windows running better on this thing than Mac???

Last edited:

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
OK, so I have a bit of an issue. I bought a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter, and it works great! Problem is tho, when I go into network prefs it doesn't show up as a device. Its working fine, but its not listed. And when I manually add it, it shows up with no IP address.

None of this really matters, the problem tho is that I can't set it to have priority over wifi...so I have to actually disable wifi to use wired. Which is annoying. Does anyone know a workaround here? Or is this just early adoption woes that should be ironed out in a revision or two?

Of course in windows, it defaults to the ethernet....wtf...why is windows running better on this thing than Mac???
I had a bit of an issue with my TB>GbE being recognized as a Bluetooth connection in network prefs, mentioned here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15284226#post15284226 in a thread regarding a problem I'm having with the TB>GbE, specifically when using time machine to a USB drive hanging off my iMac. Eventually got the TB>GbE adapter back by trashing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist and rebooting before reconnecting the adapter

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It would be good to leave wi-fi on so Find My Mac works if someone steals your Macbook.
yes, find my mac is a big reason.

----------

I had a bit of an issue with my TB>GbE being recognized as a Bluetooth connection in network prefs, mentioned here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15284226#post15284226 in a thread regarding a problem I'm having with the TB>GbE, specifically when using time machine to a USB drive hanging off my iMac. Eventually got the TB>GbE adapter back by trashing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist and rebooting before reconnecting the adapter
That did it! Perfect! Thanks! I was wondering why it was saying Bluetooth was connected. Makes sense now!